Time to take your bike in for a tune-up, find your helmet, and get ready to roll! Don’t have a bike? Check out the Iowa City Bike Library.
Biking can help you lose weight, tone your core, and build endurance. It’s also good for the heart and can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. Use your bike instead of your car and you can save your gas money for other things and help the environment at the same time.
Here are some ideas for National Bike Month:
- Ride your bike to work. Bike to Work Week is May 12-16.
- Plan a bike friendly vacation.
- Leave the car at home and run short errands on your bike.
- Start a new family tradition of taking a weekend bike ride together.
- Find a local bike club or team. The Iowa Bicycle Coalition has a list of organizations across the state.
- Sign up for a race, fun ride or other biking event. Bike Iowa posts a listing of upcoming events.
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike. -John F. Kennedy