The University of Iowa Furlough Networking Program is intended for University of Iowa Professional & Scientific non-organized (P&S) employees who have received a furlough notification letter or are currently furloughed and will be referred to in this document as a furloughed employee(s).
In order to facilitate the placement of furloughed employees at the University of Iowa, the following policy may be used by furloughed employees to secure Regular, Specified Term or Temporary P&S non-organized positions:
- This policy shall apply to permanent furloughed employees as applicable, holding career status, and specified term status with more than two years, and specified term status with less than two years of service (only during furlough notification). See listing of furlough options and resources available to furloughed staff at Furlough Options and Resources.
- Furloughed employees and/or Human Resource Representatives may initiate contact with colleges, divisions, departments or laboratories across campus to determine what employment opportunities may be available.
- If a college, division, department or laboratory has a position vacancy and wants to fill the vacancy with a furloughed employee, they may do so as long as the position has not been advertised on JOBS@UIOWA. If the position has already been advertised or is currently being advertised on JOBS@UIOWA, the normal EOD recruitment process must be followed.
- If a College, division, department or laboratory does not have a vacant position, but wishes to hire the furloughed employee, they can request the creation of a new position by completing a Position Change form (Reason: New Position) and attach a copy of a local job description, and Organizational Chart.
- Preliminary discussions between the employee and the departmental Human Resource Representative regarding salary and a proposed start date will take place prior to offering the position to the furloughed employee.
- If a college, division, department or laboratory has funding for a vacant position and intends to hire a furloughed employee, they must complete a Transfer Form (Reason for Transfer: Furlough Transfer) and provide a copy of the offer letter, the furloughed employee’s resume or CV, and salary justification, if required. If the department is hiring a furloughed employee who is in their furlough period (12 months following the furlough notice), the department must complete an Appointment Form, attaching the same documents indicated above, and respond “YES” to the question on the appointment form “Is this a furlough hire?”. Answering this question is important since it ensures that various benefits and eligibility dates may be reinstated.
P&S Status: Career status permanent furloughed staff will follow University policy as provided in University policy III-3.1 d(5).
Term Status staff who are permanently furloughed will be reappointed in Term Status, except as provided for in University policy III-3.1, b(3) and f(1)(c).
Term staff reappointed during the furlough period (12 months following their furlough notice), will retain term status and his/her original term date.
- By accepting a transfer into a Regular P&S non-organized position, the furloughed employee will no longer have furlough priority consideration for regular P&S non-organized positions.
- By accepting a transfer into a Temporary position, the furloughed employee will retain furlough priority consideration if applicable, for Regular P&S non-organized positions until the furlough notice or furlough period ends. If the furloughed employee cannot successfully perform the responsibilities of the Temporary position, the furloughed employee would return to his/her former position and P&S status for the remainder of the furlough notification period.
- Furloughed employees will also have an option to provide their employment information (Furlough Information Summary (doc) and resume/cv) to Compensation and Classification which will be posted to secure SharePoint site as part the Furlough Resume Database Program. Human Resource Representatives or their designee’s will be granted access to this information to assist departments in locating eligible furloughed staff who can meet the department’s employment needs. More information regarding this program is available in the Furlough Resume Database Program.