- Performance Review Process for Professional and Scientific Staff
- Performance Review Process for Merit Staff
Performance reviews are a two-way dialogue between supervisor and employee to discuss performance over the last year and set goals for the coming year. They are required annually and are designed to improve job quality, work performance and provide an opportunity to discuss possible development options.
Essential Elements of the Performance Review
- A back-and-forth conversation between employee and supervisor
- Discuss the longer term, aspirations, development, etc.
- Discuss resource needs, the support employee would like from supervisor
- Review last year’s performance
- Set goals for the upcoming year
Performance Review Period
The UI performance year begins on April 1 and ends on March 31 the following year (e.g. April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014). Annual performance reviews (or an update to the annual review) must be completed before March 31 of each year.
Recording Annual Performance Review Dates
In Self Service, the date of the last performance review, as well as the name of the reviewer, can be found. A field for the performance descriptor information has been added, required for Professional and Scientific non-bargaining unit staff only. The HR representative is responsible to keep that information current and to ensure that an annual performance review is occurring. Access is limited to only those with appropriate security.