University Human Resources (UHR) worked with college/unit HR leaders to establish a process for reviewing cost-saving measures that directly impact staff and faculty. First, the process offers each dean or VP a number of potential actions to consider, including:
- Hiring freezes
- Annual salary freeze increases
- Salary reductions
- Temporary or permanent layoffs for Merit staff
- Temporary or permanent furloughs for Professional and Scientific staff
Proposing, reviewing, and implementing cost-saving options prioritizes unit-level decision-making and university-wide consistency and coordination. Information flows as follows:
- College/unit senior HR leaders share a number of cost-saving options with area leaders for consideration.
- Collegiate plans with faculty impact are shared with the Office of the Provost for review and then with UHR. Administrative unit plans go directly to UHR. Then, subject-matter experts conduct an initial review.
- All plans go to the HR Employment Coordination Committee for review to make sure HR policies and procedures, as well as other best practices are followed.
- Fully reviewed plans are shared with the Iowa Board of Regents.
- Implementation and internal communication begin.
Download a chart summarizing the information-flow process with additional review criteria.