Catastrophic Leave - Information for Departments


  • The department will receive a copy of the approval letter from University Benefits when the faculty or staff member is approved for catastrophic leave.
  • University Benefits will process the paperwork to apply the hours in the employee’s accruals, and will call the department monthly to determine the number of donated hours needed.
  • The department or the employee will complete the Monthly Time Record. University Benefits will communicate with the department monthly to verify the records. Once the employee’s accruals are used, code donated time as sick leave for personal use and vacation for family catastrophic leave. This may be regular sick or vacation time or FMLA sick or vacation time, depending on the situation.
  • Upon exhaustion of FMLA, use of catastrophic leave hours is at the discretion of the department. Catastrophic leave provides payment for approved unpaid leave.

Frequently Asked Questions

The University does not allow management to solicit donations. Each department should have guidelines for notification – check with your HR Representative. The department may post an announcement that an employee is accepting donations, and coworkers may solicit for each other. Each department sets its own policy regarding the solicitation of donations. It is important that departments remain consistent in their actions on behalf of their faculty and staff members.

Discuss with them the option of catastrophic leave.  If they have been approved for the program, use donated time. Code donated hours as regular or FMLA sick or vacation time as appropriate for the situation.

Prior to leave exhaustion, the department should discuss leave and employment options with the employee.

University Benefits will notify the department of the donation, and the department completes a revised time record and a revised Leave of Absence.