Open Enrollment for 2019 Benefits for Faculty, Professional and Scientific, Merit and House Staff is November 1 through November 16, 2018. Open Enrollment is your annual opportunity to review your current benefit elections, understand your benefit options and evaluate your anticipated needs for the coming year, add or remove dependents and enroll in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) program. University Benefits strongly encourages faculty and staff to sign into Employee Self Service and complete Open Enrollment.
If you do not make any changes or new elections during the enrollment period, your current coverage will remain the same in 2019 with the exception of FSA enrollment and Dependent Life Insurance.
- The Health Care FSA will only include remaining benefit credits, if applicable, and the Dependent Care FSA will be set to $0.
- Dependent Life insurance coverage will end December 31, 2018 if you do not elect Voluntary Term Life insurance for yourself for 2019.
- If you wish to contribute to a Flexible Spending account (FSA) for 2019, you must make an election and complete your enrollment. Your 2018 FSA election(s) will not roll over except for unused benefit credits which will go into a Health Care FSA.
- In order to elect Dependent Life, you must elect Voluntary Term Life. Your dependent's benefit amount cannot exceed the amount of your own benefit.
- The University of Iowa collects information to verify dependents enrolled in our health and dental plans meet the eligibility guidelines for plan coverage. If you have unverified dependents who you will be covering for 2019, you will be contacted by University Benefits and required to provide documentation to verify their eligibility.
- Wellmark BCBS will be sending all UIChoice policyholders new member ID cards with a new policy number. Cards will be mailed to your home address by January 1, 2019. Please ensure your address is up to date to avoid any delays. Notify your health care providers of your new policy number and begin using your new card on January 1.
2019 Benefit Changes
|Premiums||The university will continue to provide the full cost of single and double spouse family coverage for the UIChoice health plan premium and 80% of the coverage cost for the other family status options. Effective, January 1, 2019, UIChoice health premiums will increase 2.5%.
Dental Insurance will not increase for 2019.
|Specialty Drug Requirement||Effective January 1, 2019, UIChoice members are required to use the UI Health Care Specialty Pharmacy for all their specialty drug needs. Learn more about the new specialty drug requirement.|
|Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)||The Health Care FSA annual maximum for 2019 will increase to $2,650 from $2,600. You must complete your FSA election to continue participating for 2019.
2019 Flexible Spending Account Program Guide (pdf)
|Waiving Health Insurance and University Credits||If you waive health insurance through the university and you are not covered under another health plan that provides minimum value coverage, the maximum amount of University Credits (General Credit and Shared Savings Credits) that can roll into a health care FSA is $500 per calendar year. To confirm that your plan meets the minimum value standard, check with your plan administrator.
Please note: A spouse or dependent child for whom you seek reimbursement of expenses through the health care FSA must be enrolled in a plan that provides minimum value coverage during the time the expenses were incurred. It is your responsibility to notify University Benefits immediately if your enrollment status in other health insurance changes.
|Double Spouse Coverage||Employees enrolled for Double Spouse Credit who are not covering dependent children will be required to enroll in two employee only plans. Double Spouse Credit only provides a benefit for those who need family coverage.|
For 2019, the Group Life insurance rate is decreasing from $0.39 to $0.246 per thousand per month.
Supplemental Life Insurance is now called Voluntary Term Life. There are no changes with rates or coverages.
In order to elect voluntary term life insurance for your spouse/domestic partner and/or dependent children, you must elect coverage for yourself under the voluntary term life insurance benefit first.Your dependent's benefit amount cannot be more than 100 percent of your own benefit amount.
New for 2019
- Wellmark will be sending all UIChoice participants new member ID cards. Cards will be mailed to your home address on file by January 1, 2019. Please ensure your address is up to date in Employee Self Service to avoid any delays in receiving your new card.
- You will now receive benefits confirmation statements electronically. Paper confirmation statements will no longer be sent in campus mail.
- Going forward, you will receive email notification of a confirmation statement available in Employee Self Service following your elections. Upon receiving your email notification, please review the applicable statement to confirm your elections.
- If a correction is needed, follow the steps from your Benefits Confirmations page in Employee Self Service.
- Doctor on Demand (pdf); new virtual medicine option available at no cost to the UIChoice members.
- The University of Iowa collects information to verify dependents enrolled in our health and dental plans meet the eligibility guidelines for plan coverage.
- If you have recently added or plan to add dependent(s) during open enrollment and beyond, you will be contacted by University Benefits and required to provide documentation to verify their eligibility. More information regarding this process will be available in late 2018.
Do you need help or have questions regarding your 2019 enrollment?
University Benefits has planned additional Benefits Office Hours dedicated to Open Enrollment in a location near you! Visit below for dates, times, and locations:
A recorded version of the 2019 Open Enrollment presentation can be found on the University Benefits YouTube channel.
Annual Open Enrollment Deadline
The deadline to complete your enrollment is November 16, 2018.
When 2019 benefit enrollments are finalized, you will receive a confirmation statement to your uiowa email address confirming your elections and costs for 2019. Please watch for your confirmation statement and review it carefully. Elections made during the open enrollment period will be effective January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019 and cannot be changed during the year unless there is a qualifying event.
ABOUT OUR SITE: The information presented on our website describes only the highlights of the plans and does not constitute official plan documents. Additional terms and conditions apply. If there are any discrepancies between the information contained herein and the official plan documents, the plan documents will govern.