What health insurance plan is available? Who is eligible to participate?
UIChoice is the health insurance plan offered to regular faculty and staff with at least a 50% appointment and their dependents.
Eligible dependents include:
- Your Legal Spouse
- Your common law spouse (affidavit required)
- Your same- or opposite-sex domestic partner (affidavit required)
- Your dependent children through the end of the year they turn 26, including:
- A natural child
- Legally adopted or placed for adoption (that is, you assume a legal obligation to provide full or partial support and intend to adopt the child)
- A child for whom you have legal guardianship
- A stepchild
- A foster child
- A natural child in which a court orders to be covered
Your dependent children must be one of the following:
- Under age 26
- a full-time student enrolled in an accredited education institution
- An unmarried child who is deemed disabled. The disability must have existed before the child turned age 26 or while the child was a full-time student, and they must meet the following criteria:
- Claimed as a dependent on your tax return; and
- Enrolled in and receiving Medicare benefits due to disability; or
- Enrolled in and receiving Social Security benefits due to disability.
Children may be covered until the end of the year in which they turn 26. Coverage for children who are full-time students or disabled can continue as long as they continue in that status. The IRS has determined that this coverage is taxable.
The University of Iowa reserves the right to require documentation to substantiate a dependent's eligibility status at any time. For more specific information on eligibility and your dependents.
Do you have more questions that cannot be answered from the website?
Satellite Benefit Office Hours Across Campus:
The University Benefits Office wants to be as accessible as possible to all employees. We have a Benefits Office Hours at several UIHC and off-site campus locations near you. Find out more information as well as times and locations here.
ABOUT OUR SITE:
The information presented on our website describes only the highlights of the plans and does not constitute official plan documents. Additional terms and conditions may apply. If there are any discrepancies between the information contained herein and the official plan documents, the plan documents will govern. For more detailed information you may contact Wellmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield at toll-free number 800-524-9242 (TTY: 888-781-4262), Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Central Time). For more efficient service, please have your member ID number handy - it can be found on the front of your card.