Benefits News and Events

The 2017 FSA Deadline is Upon Us

Do you have remaining funds in your 2017 Health Care and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account? We encourage you to check your balance(s) in Employee Self Service and submit claims as soon as possible. 

The deadline to submit eligible expenses towards your remaining balance is Monday, April 30, 2018. 

University Benefits generally processes claims within ten business days of receipt. Due to increased volume of claim submissions, processing time may be longer. When submitting claims for reimbursement, please ensure the expenses are acceptable per plan and IRS guidelines, and appropriate supporting documentation is provided.

Any funds not claimed by April 30, 2018 will be forfeited as required by IRS guidelines. More information can be found on FSA webpage

John Hancock Billing Process Change Starting February 2018

In November of 2017, John Hancock notified the University Benefits Office that they will no longer be supporting payroll deductions for long-term care insurance plan premiums starting on February 1, 2018. They have now implemented the direct billing method where the employee will pay John Hancock directly for their coverage. For those that are participating in John Hancock's Long Term Care insurance, you should have received a letter along with an ACH form in the November/December timeframe to begin the direct billing process. This change does not have any impact to your coverage or benefit levels.

Should you have more questions or did not receive the letter from John Hancock, University Benefits suggests that you call their customer service number at 888-321-4582 or email to


Important tax form information for 2018:

As part of the ACA legislation, the university is required to provide 1095 tax forms as proof of health coverage. If you chose to receive your form by online delivery, you would have received an email to let you know that your form is ready and available for you to print or download from your Employee Self Service site. If you did not choose online delivery, you should have received your form by mail by the end of January. If you are a current employee and you still have not received your 1095 form in the mail, you also can log on to your Employee Self Service site and print or download the form.  


Saving Extra For Retirement

You can now start, stop, or change your contribution to a Voluntary Retirement Savings Account quickly and easily on Employee Self Service.


IPERS is coming to an area near you to provide individual counseling sessions. Get detailed information about your retirement account. Learn more about possible retirement dates, benefit option payouts, and service purchase options.

Kirkwood Linn County Regional Center
ICAN Entrance
1770 Boyson Road
Hiawatha, IA
Individual Appointments available April 23, 24, 25, & 26, 2018

Kirkwood Regional Center at University of Iowa
2301 Oakdale Blvd
Lower Level
Coralville, IA 
Individual Appointments available April 30, May 1, 2, & 3, 2018

Pre-registration is needed to attend an individual appointment.

To schedule an individual appointment, contact IPERS at 1-800-622-3849.

Benefits Office

Campus address
120 USB
U.S. mailing address
The University of Iowa
University Benefits Office
120 University Services Bldg.
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm