The benefit program is robust and designed to be sustainable, equitable, and flexible. This page applies to the following groups:
- Professional & Scientific
- Merit Staff
Four "Core" Insurance Benefits
|Health Insurance||Dental Insurance||Group Life Insurance||Disability Insurance|
♦ 100% university contribution for single coverage.
♦ 80% university contribution toward the cost of employee + spouse, employee + child(ren) or family coverage for UIChoice
♦ Double Spouse Credit provides family health coverage at no cost.
♦ 100% university contribution for single coverage.
♦ 80% university contribution toward the cost of employee + spouse, employee + child(ren) or employee family coverage for Dental II
♦ Double Spouse Credit provides family dental coverage at no cost.
Faculty and Staff are provided life insurance at the amount of two times salary, up to a maximum of $400,000 in coverage at no cost to the employee.
Employees may choose to buy additional supplemental life insurance if they desire.
|Faculty and Staff receive long-term disability insurance to provide 60% salary replacement at no cost to the employee.|
Pre-tax Elective Insurance Benefits
The program offers flexibility in that you have the option of selecting a number of elective pre-tax benefits, including;
- additional life insurance
- accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- dependent care and/or health care flexible spending account
General and Shared Savings Credits
Benefits eligible Faculty and Staff are eligible to receive a variety of University Credits based on the benefits they elect.
Credits cannot be paid out in your paycheck as they must be used for selected benefits. When the total for the selected insurance benefits is less than the amount of credits allocated, the remaining credits are defaulted into a health care flexible spending account or can be designated to a dependent care flexible spending account.
Credits will automatically lower the out of pocket costs for the insurance plans selected, including health, dental, and life insurance. The credits will be reflected in the "Earnings" portion of your paycheck.
General Benefit Credit:
Each benefits eligible employee (Faculty, Staff and Merit) will receive a $90 per month, up to $1,080 per year, General Benefit Credit
- Credits may be used to reduce the cost of health and dental insurance, additional life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, or to fund a flexible spending account
- Unused credits automatically roll into a health care flexible spending account or can be designated to a dependent care flexible spending account.
Shared Savings Credits
Depending on the choices a faculty or staff member makes, they may be eligible for Shared Savings Credits which they can use in the same manner as the General Benefits Credits.
Dental Insurance Credit
Individuals who have dental insurance, but are not enrolled in a university dental insurance plan may receive a Shared Savings Credit as an incentive to remain with their current insurance provider. Individuals who elect not to enroll in the university’s dental insurance plan may be provided a $25 per month Shared Savings Credits.
Double Spouse Credit
- Under the Double Spouse Credit benefit, one spouse is the policyholder for both health and dental insurance and the other is covered as a dependent on the policyholder's plans. Electing the Double Spouse Credit will result in no out-of-pocket premium cost for a family health and dental plan.
- Double Spouse Credit is only a benefit when electing family coverage. If you only need employee and spouse coverage, there is no benefit of enrolling with the Double Spouse Credit as each employee may elect their own single health and dental plan at no cost.
- Double spouse couples are only eligible for a Dental insurance Shared Savings Credit if they both waive coverage. You will need to contact University Benefits if you wish to do this.
Life Insurance Credit
Individuals whose salary is over $25,000 who elect $50,000 in group life insurance receive an additional $40 per month in Shared Savings Credits.
SEIU staff who waive health insurance credit
SEIU staff who choose to waive university-provided health insurance, can receive a Shared Savings Credit of up to $200 per month.
Waiving Health Insurance
(effective January 1, 2019)
If you waive health insurance through the university and you are not covered under another health plan that provides minimum value coverage, the maximum amount of University Credits (General Credit and Shared Savings Credits) that can roll into a health care FSA is $500 per calendar year. To confirm that your plan meets the minimum value standard, check with your plan administrator.
Please note: A spouse or dependent child for whom you seek reimbursement of expenses through the health care FSA must be enrolled in a plan that provides minimum value coverage during the time the expenses were incurred. It is your responsibility to notify University Benefits immediately if your enrollment status in other health insurance changes.
ABOUT OUR SITE: The information presented on our website describes only the highlights of the plans and does not constitute official plan documents. Additional terms and conditions apply. If there are any discrepancies between the information contained herein and the official plan documents, the plan documents will govern.