Research Interns

Research Internships are designed for individuals who seek training, experience and mentoring in a research setting; plan to pursue a graduate or professional degree in science, medicine or a related field; and have US citizenship or permanent residency. The internship allows them to work in the lab of a distinguished PI at a major national research institution, providing invaluable experience and preparation for commencement of advanced studies. The appointment is for a limited term.

More information for Research Interns can be found on the Vice President for Research web site. Questions should be directed to this site.

Health and Dental Insurance

Interns may enroll in UIGRADCare, the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and Student Dental only.

The University Benefits Office will send a packet of materials at the time the appointment begins. This will include rates, information, and an enrollment form to complete and return. Information on the plans can also be reviewed at the insurance section of this web site.

Health and Dependent Care Spending Accounts

Any Research Intern who has taxable income may participate in these accounts. For more information on them, along with the advantages of participating and the enrollment process, visit the Flexible Spending Account page.

Disability and Workers' Compensation

Research Interns are covered by Workers' Compensation. 


Research Interns are required to participate in a retirement plan. The employee will be defaulted into IPERS (Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System) (except those who are not US Citizens or lawful permanent residents). This deduction will automatically be deducted from the monthly paycheck on a pre-tax basis.

If they would prefer to participate in the TIAA retirement plan, they may log on to Employee Self Service, select the Retirement Enrollment link under the Benefits section and make their election within 60 days of hire/eligibility date. The retirement plan election is a one time opportunity. It is an irrevocable decision and cannot be changed later.

Research Interns also have the option to participate in the Voluntary Retirement Savings Program (VRSP) if they have taxable income. Information on this program is available on the retirement section of this web site under Saving Extra for Retirement

Paid Leave

Research Interns are entitled to annual paid leave of 15 working days, but do not accrue vacation and are not entitled to vacation pay. The appointing department is responsible for arranging and accounting of leave for these individuals.

Access to University Facilities and Activities

Research Interns will receive a University identification card. This card provides access to library and information resources, cultural and athletic events, and the ability to charge items to a University billing account.


Benefits Office

Campus address
120 USB
U.S. mailing address
The University of Iowa
University Benefits Office
120 University Services Bldg.
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm