Contract Transfer Procedures

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have permanent status in a classification covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
  • You must desire a transfer within your current classification.
  • You must desire a transfer to a different shift, a different work location (as defined by the Agreement), or both; or you must be changing from full-time to part-time or part-time to full-time status.
  • You must not have contract transferred in your current classification within the past six months.
  • You must not have transferred more than twice during the life of this contract.

To Apply as a Contract Transfer

  1. Complete or update your Merit employment application using the online application process.
  2. Sign the "Application for Transfer" form at the Employment Services office.
  3. You will need to sign into our site every 1-2 working days and view the "Quick Apply to Merit Jobs" page found at "My Merit Jobs". Here you will see if there are openings you can apply to. You will be set up as a contract transfer unless you call the office and specifically request lateral transfer status. Note: Be sure that if the position is posted with special qualifications that you meet those qualifications and that the information is included in your Merit application.
  4. Contact the Employment office (335-2656) to get the name, address, and telephone number of the hiring department's contact person.
  5. Discuss the duties of the position, in person or over the phone, with the department. It is very important for you to understand the duties of the position in order for you to determine if this is a position for which you wish to have a priority of referral, for you must be ready to accept the position if it is offered to you.
  6. Apply to the position on JOBS@UIOWA if you determine that you would like to apply as a contract transfer.
  7. If you are the most senior eligible employee who has submitted his/her name as a contract transfer, then you will be referred to the department. You will be sent a letter of referral instructing you to contact the department.