Gallup sifted through more than a million interviews to identify 12 factors crucial to attracting, focusing, and retaining the most talented people. Consider how your team would respond to these statements:
- This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.
- In the last six months, someone at work has talked with me about my progress.
- I have a best friend at work.
- My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work.
- The mission or purpose of my company makes me feel my job is important.
- At work, my opinions seem to count.
- There is someone at work who encourages my development.
- In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
- At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
- I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
- I know what is expected of me at work.
If you're not sure how your team feels about these factors—or if you're not satisfied with the responses you think you'd receive—it's time to make a plan. (Download a PDF summary of Gallup's Employee Engagement Hierarchy.)