- University of Iowa employees who are still learning English.
- University of Iowa employees who frequently work with people who are still learning English.
- University of Iowa employees who seek to acquire Spanish as a second language for work purposes.
Corinne Stanley is the facilitator of Staff Language and Culture Services.
Staff Language and Culture Services strives to strengthen the cultural and linguistic competencies of all staff at the University of Iowa.
We work in support of the University of Iowa's goals of diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace.
We support the university's core values of diversity, community, and respect by encouraging an environment in which cooperation, communication, and respect can flourish among persons from a variety of backgrounds.
Our Goals and Services
Our main goal is to assist English language learning employees and those they work with at all stages of employment, in order to advance the employee's productivity and success in the workplace.
Application and Hiring Process
- Assist online applications
- Support career goals by editing and coaching in all aspects of the application process
- Facilitate special work and safety training for English Language Learning hires
- Translate training and safety documents
- Deliver cross-cultural communication training
- Facilitate problem-solving and cross-cultural issues for work groups with English language learner employees
- Translate and/or interpret for work-related business and concerns
- Locate volunteers to assist in languages which SLCS does not possess
English Language Learner Onboarding
- Arrange periodic onboarding events with key university offices to orient new English language learner employees
- Teach workplace-specific English classes for English language learning employees
- Provide workplace Spanish classes for co-workers and supervisors
- Interpret training sessions
- Orient employees to the management styles of different cultures