Available Coverage for Domestic Partners of Undergrad and Graduate Students:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
Children of either you or your domestic partner may be insured under any of the benefit programs providing they meet the guidelines which have been established by the insurance carrier and the University.
What will change when you add a domestic partner to insurance:
- Your family status for benefits will change.
- If you are currently classified as single for benefits coverage, adding a domestic partner with or without a child/or children will increase your costs.
- If you already cover your own child(ren), adding your partner's child(ren) to your coverage will not result in an increased cost to you.
- There will be associated changes in premiums and university contributions when adding a domestic partner with or without dependents.
- There may changes in your tax liability
How much will it cost to add a domestic partner to insurance:
The University is prevented by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) from allowing you to pay for coverage on a before tax basis. The exception to this rule is if your domestic partner meets the Internal Revenue Service dependency guidelines, then your domestic partner may be included under the before tax program. These dependency guidelines require that the student must provide more than 50% of the domestic partner's support and both of you must share the same household. For more information, please visit our Tax Implications page.
If you feel that you meet this qualification, you must note this on your Affidavit in order to qualify for this special program. Otherwise, you and your partner will be considered separately concerning any University contributions and for the payment of any premiums.
If you already have your own child (or children) and you are responsible for their insurance, adding your partner’s child/children to your coverage will not result in an increased cost to you. If you are currently classified as Single for Benefits coverage, adding a domestic partner with or without a child/or children will increase your costs.
*UI Student Premiums + Domestic Partner matrix coming soon.
How to Start the process:
- In order to cover a domestic partner, you must file an Affidavit for Domestic Partnership - Students you only need to complete this affidavit once and it will remain in effect until such time the relationship ends.
- If the relationship ends: It is your responsibility to notify the University Benefits Office by filing an Affidavit for Termination of Domestic Partnership (pdf).
- A new affidavit is required for a new domestic partner relationship.
- Complete the affidavit and submit it to the University Benefits Student Insurance team at firstname.lastname@example.org or by US Postal/Campus mail to 120 University Services Bldg, Iowa City, IA 52242.
- Upon review and approval of your Affidavit for Domestic Partnership, our student insurance team will contact you by email with instructions on how to complete your enrollment.
There is no COBRA coverage if you are a student and coverage is not supplied through your employment.
The University will apply the Federal COBRA regulations for the domestic partner if you are in an employment situation at the University of Iowa. This means that if your domestic partner's insurance is canceled as a result of termination of your employment, ending of the domestic partner relationship, or a child of the partner no longer qualifying as a dependent, then the individual who loses the coverage will be eligible to continue the insurance on a voluntary basis.
All information supplied by you and your domestic partner is kept confidential and this information is only released to the insurance carrier or to parties outside of the Benefits department which are involved in the processing of the enrollments and deductions.
ABOUT OUR SITE: The information presented on our website describes only the highlights of the plans and does not constitute official plan documents. Additional terms and conditions apply. If there are any discrepancies between the information contained herein and the official plan documents, the plan documents will govern.