The process of enrolling in or changing a flexible spending account depends on your employment classification.

Spending Account Enrollment Process

Faculty/Professional staff, Merit staff and House Staff are eligible to enroll in the Flexible Spending Account program when hired into a benefits-eligible position at The University of Iowa.  Enrollment must be completed within your first 30 days of employment. 

Benefit eligible graduate students or Postdoctoral Scholars are eligible to participate if they are paid on a monthly basis and their income is subject to state and federal tax withholding. To enroll, complete the Salary Reduction Agreement for Spending Accounts form.

Spending Account Change Process

You can only make a change to a spending account during the calendar year if you have a qualifying event. Qualifying events are events such as marriage/Domestic Partner agreement, divorce/termination of Domestic Partner agreement, birth or adoption of a child, etc.

Visit the Making Benefits Changes page for a complete list of qualifying events based on your employment classification. A change must be requested within 30 days (60 days for birth or adoption) following a qualifying event.

Faculty/Professional and Scientific/Merit/House Staff

To change your benefits you must file a Benefits Change Request on the Self-Service website within 30 days of the event.

Post Doctoral Scholars/Fellows, Graduate Student with Appointments

To change your enrollment, complete the Salary Reduction Agreement for Spending Accounts form. You must still be paid on a monthly basis and income must be subject to tax withholding.