Back-up Adult Care Offered by Caring Hands and More, Inc.
To use the Back-Up Adult Care service please read all guidelines. Complete and return the Client Initial Visit Information Form (pdf) to UI Family Services. This form must be completed and received by UI Family Services two (2) business days in advance of requesting care. Additional forms may be required by Caring Hands and More at the time you request care. For more information as to their services and programs visit Caring Hands and More Inc.
Definition of Back-up Adult Care
- Care provided to adults living in the service area (35 miles from Iowa City, IA) who have the following relationships to the eligible University of Iowa faculty, staff and students within the service area. Adults not living in the service area will not be provided care.
- Dependent adults qualified for this care arrangement will have one of the following relationships with the University of Iowa faculty, staff or student:
- Parents/Parents in-laws
- Siblings/Siblings in-laws
- Adult Children with a disability
Guidelines for Back-up Adult Care
- Care will be provided in the adult’s home or the faculty, staff or student’s home.
- Care will be provided for a period of 1 – 24 hours, one day, over multiple days; consecutive and non-consecutive.
- Care will be provided for up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Care will be provided if arrangements are made at least 48 hours in advance.
- If less than 48 hours notice is provided, an hourly rate of 1 ½ times will be charged to the University faculty, staff or student.
- Care will be provided by caregivers who are identified by the vendor from a list of credentialed providers with state licensure requirements, caregiver background and reference checks, including a national criminal background check.
- Adult caregivers who provide “hands-on” personal care will be certified nursing assistants or personal care attendants and will have undergone training to assist elders with activities of daily living.
- Adult caregivers who provide companion-only services will have a track record of successful experience working with elders. Assistance with activities of daily living and/personal care tasks (e.g. meal preparation, bathing, dressing), dementia care, socialization and/or transportation can be provided.
Please note: If an adult has a pre-existing health/disability condition, an in-home pre-assessment prior to the actual care may be required. The staff at Caring Hands and More will determine if an in-home assessment is required prior to providing care.
Those eligible for the program are University of Iowa faculty, staff or students who require the back-up adult care for an aging family member or adult child with disabilities to meet work/academic/life responsibilities.
Hours, Days & Location
- Care can be provided anytime and on any day, 24 hours per day.
- Services are provided in the home of the faculty, staff, student or the person receiving care.
- A minimum of four hours of care must be reserved.
Services can be denied if staff are not available or if an illness and/or a pre-existing health/disability condition require a greater skill level than what the provider can offer.
Fees to Families
- The cost of the care is $22.50 per hour with 4 hours of care minimally billed. A registration fee will not be charged to University families. A minimum of 4 hours of adult care will be reserved by UI affiliated families.
- A cancellation fee of $22.50 will be charged to the family if a reservation is not canceled within 48 hours of the requested care.
- Please note: If the family does not cancel within the required 48 hours and does not pay the $22.50, future requests for care may be denied.
- If less than 48 hours notice is provided, an hourly rate of 1 ½ times will be charged to the University faculty, staff or student paying for care.
- Complete the Client Initial Visit Information form and email it to UI Family Services. Complete the fields under the “Personal Information” section of the form. This form must be completed and received by UI Family Services at least two (2) business days in advance of requesting care.
- Additional forms may be required by Caring Hands and More at the time you request care.
- Calls to Caring Hands & More Inc. can be made any time to request/reserve care. A reservation is made by calling 319-337-8922.
- State you are a University of Iowa faculty, staff or student or spouse/partner.
- It is suggested to request a reservation as soon as the need is known.
Care can be denied if
- staff are not available;
- appropriate care cannot be provided;
- the UI faculty, staff or student has not followed the reservation process; or
- the UI faculty, staff or student in the past has reserved a slot, did not follow the cancelation policy and did not pay the cancelation fee.
A cancelation fee of $22.50 may be charged if a reservation of care is not canceled prior to 48 hours of the scheduled care. If the reservation for care is not canceled within the required 48 hours and the $22.50 fee is not paid, future requests for care may be denied.
Return the form to UI Family Services via email or 319-353-2384 (fax).
If you have questions and/or concerns regarding this service, contact UI Family Services or call 319-335-3558.