To use the Well Back-up Child Care and Mildly Ill Back-up Child Care, please read all guidelines, complete and return the pre-registration/pre-enrollment forms to the Family Services Office.
All forms must be completed and received by the Family Services Office at least two (2) business days in advance of reserving the well or mildly ill back-up care.
Return the forms to:
Manager, Family Services
or 319-353-2384 (fax)
If you have questions and/or concerns regarding this service, contact Family Services or call 335-1371.
Definitions and Guidelines
Definition of Well and Mildly Ill Back-up Child Care
For the UI family who needs well back-up child care when
- the normal school or child care arrangement is temporarily unavailable, e.g., teacher’s day or a break/holiday
- the usual school or child care arrangement is unavailable due to weather
- a parent has not yet found a permanent child care arrangement and temporary care is needed
- a parent’s work or school day is extended and temporary care is needed
- a recruit is visiting the campus and a temporary child care arrangement is needed
For the UI family who needs mildly ill back-up child care when the child who has a mild, short-term illness or symptoms of a mild illness which has caused or would have caused the child to be excluded from a child care or school setting. Some examples of when care is provided:
- a mild fever
- a mild sore throat, rash, vomiting, diarrhea, or earache; or
- mild tiredness, coughing or crying
Please note: If it appears to staff of Caring Hands & More, Inc., that the illness is more than mild and to protect the safety of a child, care may be denied.
Those eligible for the program are University of Iowa faculty, staff or students who require Well or Mildly Ill back-up child care to meet work, academic or life responsibilities.
Ages of Children
- For children six (6) weeks of age to twelve (12) years of age.
- For children with disabilities, the age can be extended based on the disability and the appropriateness of care.
Hours, Days & Location
- Care can be provided anytime and on any day, 24 hours per day.
- Services are provided in the home of the child and parent.
- A minimum of 4 hours of child care must be reserved.
Services can be denied if staff are not available or if the child’s illness and/or a pre-existing health/disability condition requires a greater skill level.
- Complete and submit pre-registration/pre-enrollment forms to the Family Services Office. The forms must be completed and received by the Family Services Office at least two (2) business days in advance of requesting care.
- The forms, Description of Mild Illness and Permission To Give Medication, are to be completed when requesting care for an ill child, not during the pre-registration/pre-enrollment process. Both of these forms are to be reviewed with and then left with the staff member of Caring Hands & More, Inc.
- Request and reserve care by calling Caring Hands & More Inc. at 319-337-8922. State you are a University of Iowa faculty, staff or student or the spouse/partner.
- Provide food/formula, clothes, recreation/learning materials, directions for the care and medicine in its original container as well as directions for taking the medicine.
- Notify Caring Hands & More Inc. if delayed in returning home and pay any late fees if required.
- Pay caregiving fee.
Fees to the Families
- The cost of the care is $18.50 per hour for up to two (2) children. Each additional child is $1.00 per hour per child. A maximum of five (5) children can be cared for at one time. A registration fee will not be charged to University faculty, staff and students
- A cancelation fee of $18.50 will be charged to the parent if a reservation is canceled less than 48 hours of the scheduled care.
Please note: If the parent does not cancel within the required 48 hours and does not pay the $18.50, future requests for care can be denied.
- A parent calls Caring Hands & More Inc. at anytime to request/reserve care. A reservation is made by calling 319-337-8922.
- State you are a University of Iowa faculty, staff or student or spouse/partner.
- It is suggested that the parent requests a reservation as soon as the need is known. All required forms must be completed and received by the Family Services Office three (3) business days in advance of a parent requesting the care.
- The forms, Description of Mild Illness and Permission To Give Medication, are to be completed when requesting care for an ill child. Both of these forms are to be reviewed with and then left with the staff member of Caring Hands & More, Inc.
Care can be denied if
- staff are not available
- appropriate care cannot be provided
- the parent has not followed the reservation process
- the parent in the past has reserved a slot, did not follow the cancellation policy and did not pay the cancellation fee
Please note: If a child has a pre-existing health/disability condition, an in-home pre-assessment at the parent’s expense prior to the actual care may be required.
A cancelation fee of $18.50 may be charged to the parent if a reservation is not canceled prior to 48 hours of the scheduled. If the parent does not cancel within the required 48 hours and does not pay the $18.50, future requests for care may be denied.