Parental Leave Policy
- Replenish: Experience Radiant Calm and True Vitality in Your Everyday Life, by Lisa Grace Byrnes
- Life Will Never Be the Same: The Real Mom's Postpartum Survival Guide, by Ann L. Dunnewold
Grief and Loss
- UI Employee Assistance Program (UI EAP)
- Empty Arms Support Group – St. Luke’s Hospital, Cedar Rapids.
For parents with infant or pregnancy loss, or infertility. Meets the third Monday of each month at 6:30 pm in St. Luke's Resource Center. Call 319-369-7347 for more information.
- National Share
- First Candle phone support: Grief Counselors are available 24/7 at 1-800-221-7437
- A Silent Sorrow – Pregnancy Loss: Guidance & Support for You & Your Family, by Ingrid Kohn & Perry-Lynn Moffi
- Coping with Miscarriage: A Simple, Reassuring Guide to Emotional & Physical Healing, by Mimi Luebbermann
- A Gift of Time: Continuing Your Pregnancy When Your Baby’s Life is Expected to Be Brief, by Amy Kuebelbeck & Deborah Davis, PhD
- UI Family Services Lactation Resources
- La Leche League International
- Iowa Breastfeeding Coalition
- Breastfeeding and More Support Group – Mercy Hospital, Iowa City. Weekly group for breastfeeding families. Expecting parents are also welcome. No fee. Group meets Thursdays, Noon to 2 pm, McAuley Room, Mercy Medical Plaza. Call Mercy On Call at 319-358-2767 or 800-358-2767 for a listing of specific dates.
- Breastfeeding Support Group – Mercy Hospital, Cedar Rapids. Meets every Wednesday in the Birthplace classroom from 10:30 am to Noon. Membership is free. For more information, call 319-398-6561.
- PostpartumMen – website for men with concerns about depression, anxiety or other problems with mood after the birth of a child.
- The Postpartum Husband: Practical Solutions for Living with Postpartum Depression, by Karen Kleiman, MSW
Perinatal Mental Health Issues
- Single Mothers by Choice
- What Matters Most: A Children’s Book About Families, by Kristin Carter
- Single Mothers by Choice: A Guidebook For Single Women Who Are Considering or Have Chosen Motherhood, by Jane Mattes
Social Activities/Events for Families
Special Needs Resources
- Postpartum Support Group - Birth, Baby & Beyond, 4330 Czech Lane NE, Cedar Rapids. Contact 319-364-1144.
- New Beginnings: Adjusting to Motherhood Support Group for Moms – (free) meets Wednesdays from 4-5:30 pm at the St. Luke’s Center for Women & Children’s Health Lower Level Classroom, Cedar Rapids. For more information call 319-369-7580
- Moms Supporting Moms at UI Health Care – “A Support Group for Mothers of Infants and Young Toddlers”, meets twice monthly in the Pomerantz Pavilion; for more information call 319-356-1278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- National Postpartum Depression Hotline: 1-800-PPD-MOMS
- Postpartum Support International (PSI) PPD Helpline (not a 24-hour hotline): 1-800-944-4773
Workplace Flexibility/Leaves of Absence