UI Campus Resources
- UI Family Services has DVDs for families to help young children understand deployment, homecoming and the grieving process. If you are interested in checking one of these out, please email Family Services or call 319-335-1371.
- UI Employee Assistance Program (UI EAP) has family and individual counseling available to UI employees and their families. This confidential service is available at no cost and is provided by caring, licensed professionals. For more information please call EAP at 319-335-2085 or email UI Employee Assistance Program.
Student Information and UI Campus Resources
- University of Iowa Veteran's Services - or contact Allen Roberts Jr., 319-384-2613, 111 Communications Center, Iowa City, IA 52242
- University of Iowa Veterans Association - join their Facebook page
- Military Activation Policy for Students
- University Counseling Service (UCS) - The primary mental health agency for students on the University of Iowa campus. UCS is a professional staff of twelve doctoral-level psychologists, and three psychology interns and provides short-term individual, group, and couples counseling to students. They also provide consultation, psycho educational programs, and training.
- UI ROTC
- Military-to-College Transitioning Success course - To register contact the course instructor, Georgina Dodge.
- Student Veterans of America
Family and Caregiver Resources
- Military One Source - A 24/7 resource for military members, spouses and families to help with education, relocation, parenting, stress and much more.
- VA Caregiver Support - This web site and support line will serve as a resource/referral center for caregivers, veterans and others seeking caregiver information; provide referrals to local VA Medical Center Caregiver Support Coordinators and VA/community resources; and provide emotional support. The caregiver support line will be open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and Saturday, 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time. The caregiver support line toll-free number is 1-855-260-3274.
- New Services for Care Givers of Post-9/11 Veterans - Additional VA services are now available to seriously injured post-9/11 veterans and their family caregivers through a new program of comprehensive assistance for family caregivers. VA is now accepting applications for these services.
- National Resource Directory - National Resource Directory is a federal government website that connects wounded warriors, service members, veterans, families and caregivers to thousands of services and programs at the national, state and local levels that support them during recovery.
Child Care and Family Resources
- National Guard Families - For National Guard families seeking child care financial assistance call 1-800-424-2246 or email email@example.com.
- Military Partnerships Program - For families in other branches of the military.
- Military Kids Connect - Web site for parents and educators to explain difficult topics of the military lifestyle to children.
- Our Military Kids - A national organization established to help assist National Guard and Reserve families with the costs involved in extracurricular activities. National Guard and Reserve Families, with a deployed service member, may apply for grants of up to $500. All grants, upon approval, are paid directly to the group or organization providing the service. Families can access the application by visiting this website.
- Compass Retreat Center - Members of the National Guard and Reserves, their spouses and children can attend camp for one week to work on healing of mind, body and spirit through family activities, workshops, small group encounters, team-building and trust-building exercises. The optimal time for participation is no sooner than six months post-deployment.
- United Through Reading Military Program - This program helps ease the stress of separation for military families by having deployed parents read children's books aloud via DVD for their child to watch at home. Please refer to the website for program locations and more information.
- Joint Services Support (JSS) - The JSS portal is sponsored by the National Guard, designed to serve as a resource and information link between families, service members, volunteers and educators. When you register, you will receive regular updates on new resources available to those working with military children and families. Once registered, you will also have access to key contacts throughout the state who can serve as resources for you.
- Army Reserve Family Programs
- Armed Forces Cross Roads
Local and National Resources