Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

The Health Care and Dependent Care flexible spending accounts (FSAs) are a great way to save money on taxes.  Credits and/or pre-tax money from your wages are deposited monthly into a spending account. Deposits to these accounts avoid all Federal, State, Local and Social Security/Medicare taxes.  When you incur qualified expenses, you file for reimbursement from the account.  Once you are reimbursed, you have paid your expenses with tax-free money.

All staff paid on a monthly basis, whose salary is subject to state and federal taxes, are eligible to participate. You are eligible to enroll when you are hired and become benefit eligible, and during an annual benefits open enrollment period.  You can only make a change (or enroll in) a spending account(s) outside of these times if you have a qualifying event. 

Related Documents

PDF iconHealth Care Spending Account Reimbursement Form (pdf)

PDF iconDependent Care Spending Account Request for Reimbursement (pdf)

Frequently Asked Questions

You may submit for reimbursement for eligible expenses incurred after participation begins (the date of your first deposit).

There are multiple ways to submit for reimbursement.  you will need to follow the instructions for the process you wish to use.  These can be found under Health Care Spending Account Reimbursement Rules or Dependent Care Spending Account Reimbursement Rules.

Benefits Office

Campus address
120 USB
U.S. mailing address
The University of Iowa
University Benefits Office
120 University Services Bldg.
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm