Flexible Spending Account Enrollment and Change Process

The process of enrolling in or changing a spending account depends on your employment classification.

Spending Account Enrollment Process

Faculty/Professional staff, Merit staff and House Staff are eligible to enroll in the Flexible Spending Account program when hired into a benefits-eligible position at The University of Iowa.  Enrollment must be completed within your first 30 days of employment. During your orientation, you will receive an enrollment packet containing your benefit options, which includes the Flexible Spending Account program.

Benefit eligible graduate students or Postdoctoral Scholars are eligible to participate if they are paid on a monthly basis and their income is subject to state and federal tax withholding. To enroll, complete the Salary Reduction Agreement for Spending Accounts form.

Spending Account Change Process

You can only make a change to a spending account during the calendar year if you have a qualifying event. Qualifying events are events such as marriage/Domestic Partner agreement, divorce/termination of Domestic Partner agreement, birth or adoption of a child, etc.

Visit the Making Benefits Changes page for a complete list of qualifying events based on your employment classification. A change must be requested within 30 days (60 days for birth or adoption) following a qualifying event.

Merit Staff

If you are changing other benefits, complete a PDF iconMerit Staff Benefit Change Request Form (pdf).  To request a change to  your spending account only, complete the Salary Reduction Agreement for Spending Accounts Form.

Faculty/Professional and Scientific/House Staff

To change your benefits you must file a Benefits Change Request on the Self-Service website within 30 days of the event.

Post Doctoral Scholars/Fellows, Graduate Student with Appointments

To change your enrollment, complete the Salary Reduction Agreement for Spending Accounts form. You must still be paid on a monthly basis and income must be subject to tax withholding.

Benefits Office

Campus address
120 USB
U.S. mailing address
The University of Iowa
University Benefits Office
120 University Services Bldg.
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm