If eligible, employees are entitled to take FMLA absences for:
- Placement activities if the absence is required for the placement of the child to proceed.
- Employees are also entitled to take up to 12 weeks of FMLA for bonding with the child, and this is available for up to one year following the entrance of the child in to the home. Therefore, FMLA for bonding time is calculated on a rolling calendar year based on the date the child entered the home.
- Absence from work is typically a continuous leave. Once an employee returns to work, authorization from the department is required for a reduced schedule for bonding as long as it is authorized within one year of birth.
- If both employees work at the University of Iowa then they will share up to 12 weeks of FMLA for bonding time following birth, rather than receiving up to 12 weeks individually.
- Adoption leave may also be available and is concurrent with FMLA as applicable. See Types of Leave for more information regarding adoption leave.
- A course is available on ICON for detailed information related to the parental leave policy, adoption leave, and overlap with Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is available by logging into Employee Self Service, clicking on My Training, Available ICON courses, and then Parental Leave.