If you are a Specified Term Status employee with less than 2 years of Service in Specified Term Status at The University of Iowa, and receive notification of permanent layoff or reduction in the percent of time, Compensation and Classification and your HR Representative can offer assistance in finding another job.
Your furlough consideration will consist of the following during your notice period and for 12 months following termination (furlough period):
- Participation in the Furlough Networking Program (during notice period only)
- Inclusion in the Furlough Resume Database (during notice period only)
- Ability to utilize the UI Employee Assistance Program (UI EAP) (includes 3 months following termination)
- Ability to utilize the Career Development Advising Services
Available furlough resources Available furlough resources end when the notice period expires (exception – UI EAP).
When you begin searching for a new position you will need to review the available jobs in UI Careers. To apply for an open position in UI Careers, you will need to create a general profile in UI Careers. Once you have created your profile you can begin applying for open positions.
Specified Term Status (less than 2 years of service) staff may request to make their resume/CV available to UI Recruiters. Departments finding a qualified applicant prior to advertising their position on UI Careers website, may utilize the Furlough Networking Program to interview and hire the furloughed Specified Term Status employee. If the hiring department would like to interview the furloughed employee, they will be responsible for scheduling an interview. Making your resume/CV available will require the furloughed employee to contact Compensation and Classification at firstname.lastname@example.org if they want to initiate this option.
If a Specified Term status employee returns within 12 months from the date of termination, the university will:
- Reinstate sick leave
- Provide the option to purchase vacation leave that was paid out at the time of termination.
- Adjust the company seniority date back to the date that was in effect at the time of termination.
- Reinstate the P&S Specified Term status date, and benefit eligibility and retirement eligibility dates back to the date that was in effect at the time of termination
- Reinstate priority eligibility for parking, athletic tickets, and any other benefits that the employee had at the time of termination.