If you are a Specified Term Status employee with more than 2 years of service in Specified Term Status at The University of Iowa, and receive notification of permanent layoff or reduction in the percent of time, Compensation and Classification and your HR Representative can offer assistance in finding another job.
Your furlough consideration will consist of the following during your notice period and for 12 months following termination:
- Participation in the Furlough Networking Program
- Inclusion in the Furlough Resume database
- Ability to utilize the Employee Assistance Program (UI EAP) (includes 3 months following termination)
- Ability to utilize the Career Development Advising Services
- Specified Term (with more than 2 years of service) employees will be offered an interview for positions (including any internal search) they apply for:
- Within their current job family
- At their current pay level or below
- Positions for which they meet the required qualifications
Furlough options and resources end when notice and furlough period expires (exception – UI EAP)
Staff will need to contact Compensation and Classification at firstname.lastname@example.org if they want to initiate furlough consideration for an interview in UI Careers website. Once initiated, furlough Specified Term Status staff interview consideration will be applied to all Professional and Scientific requisitions applied for in UI Careers website for which they meet the above requirements.
Specified Term Status (more than 2 years of service) staff may also request to make their resume/CV available to UI Recruiters. This is a separate option from requesting interview consideration and departments finding a qualified applicant prior to advertising their position on the UI Careers website, may utilize the Furlough Networking Program to interview and hire the furloughed Specified Term Status employee. If the hiring department would like to interview the furloughed employee, they will be responsible for scheduling an interview. Making your resume/CV available will require the furloughed employee to contact Compensation and Classification at email@example.com if they want to initiate this option.
When you begin searching for a new position you will need to review the available jobs at UI Careers. You will be considered for any open position (including any internal search) within your job family, at your current pay level or below. You will be able to be interviewed for vacant positions during your furlough notification period. If you are unable to secure a position by the end of your furlough notification period and are terminated, you will be able to exercise interview consideration for vacant positions for an addition 12 months.
To apply for an open position in UI Careers, you will need to create a general profile in UI Careers. Once you have created your profile and would like to begin applying for open positions you will first need to:
- Contact Compensation and Classification through firstname.lastname@example.org that you would like to begin furlough interview consideration for the position on UI Careers.
- After your furlough status has been verified by Compensation and Classification, the consideration for interviews will apply for all future jobs to which you apply that are in your same job family, at your current pay level or below.
- Specified Term Status staff who do not invoke furlough priority prior to or at the time of application, will not be eligible for furlough interview consideration for the vacant position.
The hiring department recruiter will make a determination if the furlough applicant (and other applicants) meet the advertised qualifications, and if not, will notify the applicant. Hiring departments will be responsible for making a good faith effort to contact furloughed applicants, are responsible for scheduling the interviews and will interview qualified furloughed applicants unless the recruitment is canceled or placed on hold. Furloughed applicants must be available within 3 business days of being contacted by the interviewing department.
Departmental recruiters may decline to interview a Specified Term Status furloughed applicant (more than 2 years of service), who does not meet the advertised requirements for the position. The departmental recruiter will communicate with the furloughed applicant if the interview is waived, indicating to the applicant the job requirements they failed to meet. If the furloughed applicant disagrees after further discussion with the recruiter/hiring department and would like to pursue further consideration, they will need to contact Compensation and Classification directly at email@example.com. If you have reason to believe this disqualification is related to your status in a protected class, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a Specified Term status employee returns within 12 months from the date of termination, the university will:
- Reinstate sick leave
- Provide the option to purchase vacation leave that was paid out at the time of termination.
- Adjust the company seniority date back to the date that was in effect at the time of termination.
- Reinstate the P&S Specified Term status date, and benefit eligibility and retirement eligibility dates back to the date that was in effect at the time of termination
- Reinstate priority eligibility for parking, athletic tickets, and any other benefits that the employee had at the time of termination.