The checklist tool provided here supports the transition process when University of Iowa employees end University of Iowa employment voluntarily or transfer between units within the University. The checklist was created as a resource for HR Unit Representatives who do not already have procedures in place or who would like to modify their current procedures.
Go to the Involuntary Staff Terminations section for more information.
Transfer/End Of University Of Iowa Employment Checklist
This comprehensive form should be reviewed with the employee for a voluntary staff termination. The form is divided into three sections, detailing what each party is responsible for:
b) HR Staff
HR Representatives should ensure the checklist is fully completed, assisting the departing employee as necessary, and retain the checklist in the employee’s personnel file.
The Purpose Of Using A Systematic Employee Exit Process
University HR provides a standardized process to make it easier for departments to ensure a smooth transition for separating or transferring employees. Gaps in the employee exit process can cause disruption in payroll or benefits to the employee and could lead to significant security breaches or cost to the organizational unit. These common procedures can be customized for each unit's needs. The checklists become a part of the employee personnel file assuring and documenting a thorough and complete procedure.
What Supervisors And HR Reps Need To Do When An Employee Voluntarily Terminates Employment With The University
- Contact your Human Resources Representative (HR Rep) to assist you with the necessary paperwork.
- A checklist to assist you in determining if you have accounted for all University property that the employee might have had access to.
- An HR checklist to assist your HR Rep in determining if HR processes have been completed before the employee departs.
Why Employees Should Participate In This Process
- When you transfer or exit the University voluntarily, there are checklists that need to be completed with your HR Rep and/or your supervisor. By completing these checklists, transferring employees ensure that benefits and services will continue and it will allow for a smoother transition to their new college/unit. For exiting employees, updating information assures that you will receive your payroll and benefit information.
- Your supervisor or HR Rep should contact you to facilitate the exit process.