Respondents proposed a menu of favorite review questions, organized here by general themes. Some noted that a wide variety of people and positions demand a wide range of potential questions—all the more reason to offer a customization-ready slate of ideas.
- How would you rate your performance during the past year?
- What have been some successful highlights from this past quarter?
- Can you identify 1-2 ways in which your actions will help your activities succeed in the coming year?
- What’s your biggest accomplishment right now?
- What did you accomplish that you are proud of?
- Could you describe 1-2 activities that went well and why?
- Let’s talk about the work you’ve completed toward (project/goal example).
- Is there anything you’re doing for which you don’t get credit or recognition?
- Do you have ideas that go above and beyond, or areas you feel you could improve upon?
- What’s your biggest challenge right now?
- What do you think you could have done better?
- Could you describe 1-2 activities that didn’t pan out and why?
- Tell me what challenges you’ve come across since the last time we talked and how you were able to solve those challenges.
- What roadblocks are hindering your ability to do your job?
- How would you rate my performance as a supervisor during the past year?
- What do you wish I would do differently?
- What are your goals for the coming year?
- Do you feel you’re meeting your goals? Why or why not?
Development and support
- What do you see as a growth edge for yourself? Tell me what steps you plan to take to gain more skills or develop in this area.
- What have you done to further your training over the past year?
- What do you need help with to do your job to the best of your ability?
- What resources would be helpful to you?
- How can I help you become more successful in your role?
- What should I know about your role that I might not know?
- If you could change something about your job, what would it be?
- How often do we need to meet to help you grow in this position?
- What would make your job more fulfilling?
- What’s working well?
- What should we take a look at?
- How are we making progress toward established goals?
- What ideas do you have to improve what we currently are doing?
- How do you prioritize your work, and how do you spend your time in an average week/month?
- What are your priorities for the next X months?
- What do you look forward to when you come to work?
- How do you think your work impacts the university?
- How do you help your team achieve its best work?