BUILD is a collaborative initiative of the Chief Diversity Office and Learning & Development, along with the contributions of many of our campus thought leaders.
The BUILD initiative creates an opportunity for UI faculty and staff to build strategic knowledge and skills to contribute to a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. By completing a series of workshops, participants will earn a certificate demonstrating their commitment to acting as leaders for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and classroom.
Benefits of Enrolling
Participants in the BUILD initiative will learn:
- skills for relationship and coalition-building across difference
- how to recognize and address microaggressions and microinequities
- strategies to reduce the impact of implicit bias in hiring, promotion, decision-making, and work culture
- techniques for promoting authentic dialogue on diverse teams
- methods for navigating conflict while respecting diverse opinions, backgrounds, and identities
Sessions are offered on a rotating basis each semester. Participants may take courses individually, without working toward a certificate. Successful fulfillment of the BUILD certificate requires completion of one required core course (Beyond the Numbers: Foundations for Diversity & Inclusion) and five elective courses. All courses taken for the program are free of charge to participants. For course descriptions and more information, visit BUILD on the Diversity at Iowa website.
Individuals who complete the BUILD certificate program will receive a certificate, obtain a placard for their office, and be recognized annually at the Diversity Catalyst Awards.
UI faculty and staff can sign up online through Employee Self-Service | Personal Tab | My Training.