FROM: UI Learning and Development
RE: University Orientation for New Faculty and Staff
Congratulations on your appointment to the University of Iowa. The University is a unique workplace filled with opportunities for all employees. We have enclosed our Welcome to the University of Iowa CD that contains a wealth of information, including entertaining and informative video presentations that showcase some of the special advantages and programs available at the University of Iowa.
With this letter, we are pleased to invite you to attend The University of Iowa New Faculty and Staff Orientation. This orientation is provided by UI Human Resources to all eligible new employees. Faculty members may receive information about additional orientation programs offered through the Office of the Provost and their respective departments. For more information regarding new faculty orientation, please see the Office of the Provost NewFaculty@IOWA Programs website.
The University of Iowa New Faculty and Staff Orientation will connect you to the University beyond your position and department. By attending, you will:
- Strengthen your connection to the greater University community by meeting employees from other departments, colleges and areas of the University;
- Develop a deeper understanding of how things work at the University (e.g., Payroll, Parking and other valuable resources);
- Enroll in your employee benefits program and meet with representatives who can respond to your benefits questions;
- Learn more about many of the discounts, services, and cultural activities available to you as an employee; and
- Attend an informational fair where you can learn about several University services, departments and resources.
Time: 7:50 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Place: 2520D UCC
If you cannot attend the scheduled session listed above, please call 335-2687 to cancel or reschedule.
The Benefits Education Center (BEC) has online modules explaining your benefits. If you are Faculty member or a Professional & Scientific employee, you can enroll in your benefits online prior to the orientation program. There is a module on the BEC that will guide you through the enrollment process. If you are unsure of your employment classification, you may visit the Employment Categories and Classification website for more information.
This orientation program will include an overview of University services and resources, a description of payroll processes and an explanation of and enrollment in the University’s benefits programs (group life, retirement, health care, etc.). Time is also provided to obtain your ID card.
You will be re-invited to Orientation until your benefit selections are completed.
Please bring the following items with you to the upcoming University of Iowa New Faculty and Staff Orientation to facilitate the benefits enrollment process:
- This notice;
- A ballpoint pen;
- Social Security numbers of all individuals who are to be covered by insurance; and
- A picture ID bearing the signature normally used for transactions; options include a driver's license, passport, visa, credit card bearing both a photo and a signature, military ID, or a valid form of picture ID coupled with a social security card (which bears the person's signature). If you want to change your official University name as shown above, or correct your Social Security number, call the Payroll Office at 335-2381.
We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Iowa. If you have any questions, please call 335-2687.