New employees who meet the following criteria will be invited to either a UI or UI Health Care Orientation session, based upon the Organizational Unit that employs them.
- Employee must be a new hire, not a transfer or change-of-status.
- Employee must have regular (not temporary) status.
- Employee must be appointed as working at least 50% time.
- Employee must be benefit-eligible.
The hiring department is responsible for processing the appropriate appointment form and any other required documents for all new hires.
The appointment is completed online using the Human Resources Transaction system available via the Employee Self Service website. The appointment form is initiated by the department, routed online for signatures/approval through the University Workflow system, and arrives in Human Resources for processing.
- Additional information, training, and manuals for the HR Transaction System and the Workflow System are available from your departmental/organizational Human Resource administrator. Information is also available on the Information Management website.
UI Learning and Development invites new hires to the UI Orientation sessions and the UI Health Care Orientation sessions. New hire information is received and the new employee is assigned to the next available orientation session.
Invitation packets are sent to the new hires which include:
- An invitation letter welcoming new hires to the University and information regarding the days events.
- An agenda providing the location and schedule of the presenters.
- A Welcome CD providing information on a variety of university services, programs and policies.
The employing department also receives a copy of this information.
Please note: UI Orientation is held from 8:00 am - 12:15 pm and UI Health Care Orientation is held from 8:00 am - 2:45 pm.