While you dine on campus, we encourage you to make the healthiest choices possible. We want you to know which foods are healthier, so we mark these choices with the UChoose apple icon to denote that item as a healthier choice. The UChoose program can be found around campus at various Campus Cafes, at the Hospitals & Clinics, and in residential dining halls.
UChoose-approved items meet the following criteria:
- Less than 10% of calories from saturated fat
- Zero Trans Fat
- Low Calories
- <700 kcals for meals
- <525 for entrees
- <175 for sides and snacks
- Low Sodium
- Beverages labeled as UChoose-approved meet these criteria:
- Juices are 100% fruit juice
- Milk is Low-fat or Non-fat
- Other beverages contain <40 calories per serving
UChoose Poster (pdf)
UChoose Goals and Membership
These criteria were developed by the Healthy Campus Nutrition Advisory Group, a cross section of campus departments charged with the development of healthy nutrition goals for campus and the identification of best practices in support of these goals relative to food service and vending service on the UI campus.
- Provide a supportive environment for students, faculty and staff relative to the availability of healthy food items on campus.
- Create greater awareness of healthy nutrition across campus.
- Base healthy food and vending service recommendations on best practice and evidence based guidelines.
The Healthy Campus Nutrition Advisory Group is comprised of representatives from UI Hospitals and Clinics Food and Nutrition Services, Student Health & Wellness, UI Wellness/University Human Resources, University Housing and Dining, and other entities as appropriate. If you have questions or suggestions for the committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Healthy Dining Information
To be designated as a healthier snack, vending items with a green check that are a part of Aramark's healthy vending program have less than:
- 200 calories for most Just4U snacks (Snacks with at least two of the following important nutrients: 1 gram fiber, 5 grams protein, >10% daily value for Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium or iron, can be up to 300 calories)
- 35% calories from total fat
- 10% calories from saturated fat
- 35% calories from sugar
- 300 milligrams sodium, and
- Zero grams trans fat
In addition, we strive to have 20% of items offered within a vending machine meet these criteria. Ideally, vending machines include a healthy row or column where healthy items are grouped together.
Vending machines that are located in the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics are not managed by Aramark, but designate healthy items, as well.
- Menus for UI Health Care Locations
- NetNutrition Nutrition Analysis Tool: Filter on areas like Gluten-free items, Vegetarian foods, and more. Look up and compare your favorite items available at UI Health Care locations.
- Residence Hall (Burge and Hillcrest) Menus
- University Dining Locations - University Dining has 14 locations campus-wide in residence halls and buildings on campus.
On-Campus Nutrition Support
For Students: Student Health & Wellness
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 319-335-8394
For Faculty/Staff: liveWELL Program
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 319-353-2973