Healthy eating is an important part of overall health, well-being, and personal energy. Learn about healthy eating from a number of resources on campus including the UChoose program that helps you identify healthy food options on campus.
The liveWELL Program offers a one-on-one Health Coach Service that is free for faculty and staff. Health coaching may focus on nutrition and/or weight loss goals. Health coaches are available in person or via telephone. For assistance contact liveWELL via email or call 319-353-2973.
With 14 locations campus-wide, preparing over 400 unique foods to meet all appetites and needs, and serving 16,000 meals each day; University Dining offers students, faculty, and staff a welcoming, affordable dining experience just around the corner. Look for UChoose-approved healthy options!
All of the UI Health Care dining facilities have daily menus posted with healthy, UChoose-approved items identified, as well as a nutrient analysis tool called NetNutrition. Use these online tools to plan your meals and assist you in making healthy choices each time you dine at UI Hospitals and Clinics.
Weight Watchers offers on-campus and community groups at a variety of locations and times.
- University of Iowa Healthy Recipes
- ChooseMyPlate.gov - Tip of the Day, Eating on a Budget, Sample Menus and Recipes, Videos, Kid's Info, and more!
- Body Mass Index Calculator - Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.
- Your Guide to Lowering Cholesterol with TLC (pdf) - From the National Institutes of Health, this guide will provide you with an eating plan, sample menus, and information on the TLC Diet, a heart healthy eating plan to help you lower cholesterol. The pdf is 85 pages and a great resource.
- Your Guide to Lowering Blood Pressure (pdf) - From the National Institutes of Health, this guide is a simple, evidence-based approach to decreasing both systolic and diastolic blood pressure scores.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - Current and accurate information on numerous food and nutrition topics. Includes recipes.
- American Heart Association - Variety of healthy eating information that includes recipes.
- Fruits & Veggies More Matters - Numerous tips and recipes designed to help Americans eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Mayo Clinic Nutrition and Healthy Living - Expert advice on current nutrition topics, evaluation of diet trends, menu planning and recipes.
- Nutrition.gov - Reliable information on food and nutrition. Includes recipes.
- Vegetarian Nutrition - Evidence based information and advice for all types of vegetarian diets. Includes recipes.
- WebMD - Expert reviewed nutrition and wellness information. Includes recipes.