As you approach your first anniversary of employment, you should revisit any goals you developed for yourself or ones shared with you by your supervisor
- What have you accomplished?
- How are you making a difference in your unit and the University of Iowa?
- What still needs to be done?
- How will you accomplish the remainder?
- Are there unexpected challenges or barriers to achieving your goals?
- What will be your goals for the next year?
The video in the resources section is a quick way to learn about setting goals with your supervisor. Also see the Development section for resources to deal with some barriers.
- On You Tube, Ed Muzio, President & CEO of Group Harmonics, says that by setting SMART goals—specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-based—you can avoid a lot of frustration:
Setting SMART Goals |At the Whiteboard (video) January 2009
University employees receive ongoing and annual feedback and documentation. You and your supervisor should be discussing your work, goal and career accomplishments and developing new goals and expectations as you meet your new employee goals. You can learn more about the UI performance management process at the resource link. P&S staff are able to record their goals and progress and do an annual self review at Employee Self Service/Personal Tab/Performance/Career/Performance Review. P&S staff can learn more about competencies.
Getting along well with others is a University value embodied in our competency: Collaboration and Embracing Diversity. If you have some difficulty with others in your work unit, understanding your motivation and theirs can lead to better working relationship. Review the video for more information. There are additional resources available in Employee Self Service/My Training/My Quick Coach/Dealing with Difficult People.
- Performance Management
- Performance Review and Goal Plan
- On You Tube, Ed Muzio, President & CEO of Group Harmonics, explains what drives people to perform and why uncovering motivation can improve communication and increase trust:
Six Hidden Factors of Motivation (video) February 2010
Maintaining your productivity and wellness at work and home is an important goal. Interestingly, happiness can make us more productive and improve our health. Learn how you can improve your feelings of happiness at the website listed.
- Dark Matter Consulting--Happiness Pays a Dividend
- University of Iowa Charter Committees
- Volunteer Opportunities or Volunteer Iowa or Volunteer – United Way of Johnson and Washington Counties
- UI Health Care Community/Staff Volunteers
Is your career off to a good start? If you need help with career advice, try the UI’s Career Advising Service.