Work and Strategic Goal Alignment
A leader’s performance and behaviors directly affect performance and engagement of their staff. As you approach your first anniversary of employment, you might want to reflect on the goals that you are accomplishing.
- Do they reflect the mission and goals of the University?
- Are your behaviors in meeting those goals in keeping with the competencies for your position and UI leader expectations?
- Are you regularly asking for feedback about your leadership behaviors from your supervisor, peers, and direct reports? Make them comfortable with Feed Forward – see resources.
How well have you done in clarifying expectations, providing feedback, recognition, and opportunities for development for those you supervise? Research has shown these are elements of employee engagement. The UI regularly asks employees these types of questions in its Working at Iowa survey.
- I know what is expected of me in my work.
- I receive regular feedback about my work.
- The feedback I receive from my supervisor helps me to improve my performance.
- My supervisor acknowledges me for doing good work.
- I am encouraged to participate in professional development.
Work Life and Wellness
Engaged staff are also healthy.
- Are you modeling work life balance and participation in wellness initiatives?
- Do you have an active wellness ambassador in your area? Are you supportive of your wellness ambassador?
You should continue to learn about the services that UI has to offer for your and your staff’s personal and workplace success. One resource is listed. If an issue is troubling you or your staff, reach out for help. The Supervisor Helpline is 5-2085