1. Why are we moving to a new Performance Review Tool?
After consideration of all factors, the university determined the external vendor (Success Factors) was not the long-term solution for the university and made the decision to build an internal tool more compatible with existing HR systems.
2. What are some of the major changes and benefits of the new tool?
- All staff types (P&S non-bargaining, P&S bargaining, merit, and merit-exempt) in a regular appointment can utilize the tool.
- A new five-point rating scale and descriptors (Outstanding, Exceeds Expectations, Successfully Meets Expectations, Needs Improvement, and Unsatisfactory) replaces the former four-point scale.
- New tool will be more integrated with ePersonnel file.
- Documents can be attached and new user-friendly supervisor/HR reports are available.
- Simplified process with more flexibility for organizational levels on campus to tailor based on their needs.
3. When will the new tool be available for supervisors and staff?
As of December 2016, the new performance review tool is available within Employee Self-Service | Personal Tab | Performance/Career.
4. Where is the new Performance Review Tool located?
Employees and supervisors can access the new tool directly at http://talent.uiowa.edu/performance by entering their Hawk ID and Password (note: may be different than an employee’s Health Care ID and Password).
The tool is also accessible through Employee Self-Service by selecting the Personal Tab and selecting Performance Review in upper left corner under Performance/Career section.
5. How do I access previous year's performance review for the P&S non-bargaining staff?
Before 2017, the performance reviews from 2013, 2014 and 2015 will be moved to the ePersonnel file. If you need to access one of those files before 2017, please contact the ITS-Help Desk, 319-384-HELP (4357), for assistance.
In order to access last year’s form as a reference for this year’s review, supervisors and employees can select the View/Download 2015-2016 Review link available in the P&S performance review tool’s Goals & Accomplishments section.
6. Where do P&S non-bargaining employees add their goals for next year?
P&S non-bargaining employees can enter goals and continue to utilize Success Factors for goal review through March 31, 2018. To access, employees/supervisors login through Employee Self-Service, select the Personal Tab, and select Goal Plan in upper left corner under Performance/Career section. Goals can also be attached in the New Performance Review Tool using a separate template or by adding into the Comments section of the tool.
7. After an employee finalizes his or her review, can the supervisor log back in and see the employee’s comments along with the supervisor’s comments?
Yes, the completed form will be available in the History tab. Supervisors will also receive an email that includes employee comments. The email will notify the supervisor that comments were made and the review is complete. The ePersonnel file will contain the completed form for the supervisor and employee to access.
8. What happens if a supervisor leaves the organization during the middle of the review period and ...
...no Reviews have started?
The ability to create a Review will transfer to the new supervisor.
...some Reviews have been started but not all?
Contact the ITS-Help Desk with details on how you want each of the forms handled.
...all Reviews have been started and some have been completed?
For Reviews NOT completed, please contact the ITS-Help Desk for assistance.
For Reviews completed, the new supervisor will have access to the performance Review via the employee’s ePersonnel file.
...all Reviews have been completed? Can the new supervisor see the Reviews?
The new supervisor will have access to the employee’s ePersonnel file.
9. An employee must acknowledge his or her Review by March 31. What steps should a supervisor take to ensure employees meet the March 31st deadline?
Supervisors/evaluators should complete the employee’s Review and have the performance review meeting early enough in the Performance Review window to allow the employee to acknowledge prior to March 31st.
In the event an employee fails to finalize the Review document, the supervisor should clarify with the employee that finalizing the form does not indicate agreement but confirms that the discussion with the supervisor occurred. Employees have the option to add additional comments directly on the form prior to finalizing. Supervisors should work directly with their departmental human resources representative if an employee continues to decline finalizing the review in the system.
- Technical Questions:
- Performance Review Process and Content: contact your unit's HR representative
- Help Tour within the Performance Review Tool
- University Human Resources Performance Management