- Comprehensive and in-depth understanding of recognized body of knowledge, or a highly specialized discipline, requiring advanced application of theory, techniques, regulations and principles
- Ability to identify, create and apply new methods for achieving objectives
- Judgments and decisions, to achieve objectives, requiring independent decision-making guided by interpretation of broad policies and procedures.
- Develops policies and procedures based upon evaluation and analysis.
- Decisions impact other units and/or functions.
- Creativity and innovation is a major component of this role.
- Manages the activities of cross functional or multiple work units.
- Scope of responsibilities is focused on achievement of department or program objectives
- Responsible for advising other departments or functions across the University in respective area of expertise.
- Responsibility for strategic planning and achievement of the goals of the department
- Primary accountability is for achieving objectives and managing budget.
- Accountability to manage significant risk as it impacts the department and other units of the University.
- Communications are integral for the strategic and operational direction of the department.
- Requires frequent use of tact, persuasion and negotiating skills with University leadership and external constituencies
- Requires effective exchange of complex and sensitive information.