If you choose not to take action during this enrollment period, your existing coverage options will roll over into the next year and your premium costs will automatically update effective Jan. 1, 2021.
Changes in 2021 Benefits
Health Plan Rates:
- Health care premiums will increase for both UIChoice and UISelect
- Please review the 2021 Retiree Rates effective Jan. 1, 2021
Dental II Rates:
- Premiums will not increase for Dental II insurance plan in 2021.
*There are no plan design changes to UIChoice or UISelect for 2021.
If you would like to switch health plans
As a reminder, the university offers two health plans, UISelect and UIChoice. To compare the two plans you may visit a side-by-side comparison to find out which plan will work best for you and your family. Open Enrollment is your opportunity to switch to the other health plan if you wish.
Please print the UISelect and UIChoice Retiree Enrollment form (pdf). You must complete the enrollment form and return it by Dec. 7, 2020. This form can be sent back to us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to University Benefits. The change in your health plan will be effective Jan. 1, 2021. New cards will be mailed to your home address by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa.
Alternative to UI Retiree health plans
- As an alternative to UIChoice/UISelect, there will continue to be two Medicare Advantage plan options available from Health Alliance. You may elect coverage under one of these plans and still have the option to return to UIChoice/UISelect during future annual enrollment periods. Health Alliance mailed information regarding 2021 coverage to current plan participants early October. Plan information is also available on the UI Health Alliance website. You may also contact Health Alliance directly by calling 1-877-917-8550.
- If you would like to enroll in a Health Alliance plan, you will need to complete a Health Alliance Enrollment form (pdf), the Health Alliance ACH form (pdf), and return these directly to Health Alliance.
- Please notify University Benefits in writing by Dec. 7th of your wish to cancel UI coverage. The notification can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to University Benefits Office.
- The change in your health plan will be effective Jan. 1, 2021. New cards will be mailed to your home address.
If you would like to cancel your UI Retiree coverage
- Please notify University Benefits in writing by Dec. 7, 2020. The notification can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to University Benefits Office. Your coverage will be canceled as of Jan. 1, 2021.
- If you cancel coverage, you cannot enroll in the university's plan(s) again later. The exception is, if you currently have health and/or dental insurance through your own or your spouse's employment, you may have the option to enroll in the university's plan(s) if that coverage ends.
Resources and Informational Meetings
Due to the pandemic, our office will be conducting a virtual Open Enrollment. The following are resources to help you succeed during this period. An open enrollment letter has been mailed to your home address.
Open Enrollment Resources
Once again this year, the Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) is available to assist you in understanding your health care options. SHIIP Counselors will provide you with objective information concerning enrollment guidelines, benefits, and costs of your various Medicare alternatives. They are familiar with the four different plans the University makes available to its retirees: UI Choice, UI Select, Health Alliance HMO and the Health Alliance PPO. If you want to consider the options available to the general public, Counselors can explain the benefits and costs of Medicare Advantage plans plus Original Medicare, including some 50 Medicare supplement plans and 20 drug prescriptions plans available in Iowa.
It is important to review your current Medicare coverage every Fall during the Open Enrollment Period between October 15 and December 7. The costs and benefits of your current plan may be changing for 2021. It is also possible that your health needs have changed to the extent that there is a plan better able to meet your needs than your current plan.
Due to the pandemic, the SHIIP Program has suspended one-on-one direct meetings. However, Counselors will communicate with you through Zoom, telephone, and e-mails. Contact SHIIP by e-mail at email@example.com or call 319-356-5220. Please be prepared to leave your name, email address, and telephone number plus your preferred method of contact and we will follow up with you.
Becoming Medicare Eligible
If you or your spouse become eligible for Medicare, you are required to enroll in Medicare Parts A & B as your primary insurance. Failure to enroll on time may result in a penalty and may delay your enrollment. If you are a UIChoice or UISelect plan participant, University Benefits will automatically enroll you in the UIChoice or UISelect Medicare Carveout plan which will become the secondary payer. The UIChoice or UISelect Medicare Carveout includes creditable prescription drug coverage and you should not enroll in a Medicare Part D plan.
If you do not wish to continue your UIChoice or UISelect coverage, you must notify University Benefits in writing.