Instructions for Refund of your Retirement Contribution

If you are a former University of Iowa faculty or staff member requesting a refund of retirement contributions, you must contact the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association, P.O. Box 1259, Charlotte, NC 28201, or call (800) 842-2776.  If an alternate company is involved, please contact them directly. 

Applicants for refund should be aware that companies will only grant a refund request which has been approved by The University of Iowa. 

When applying for a refund from TIAA, the following information should be furnished.

  • Name
  • Social Security number
  • Termination date of employment
  • Mailing address
  • Indicate that employment was at The University of Iowa

Request for a refund should not be made until after termination of employment.  Please note: termination of employment means that you no longer receive any form of salary or wage compensation from The University of Iowa eligible for TIAA contributions. 

Upon receipt of your request for a refund, TIAA will send you a computer-generated letter.  The University sends TIAA notice of terminations on a monthly basis.  It will then take three to four weeks until your refund is completed.