Absence Approval and Management
Health Condition/Leave Management
- “What do I do if one of my employees has a health condition?” OR “What are my responsibilities with FMLA or military leave?”
- “I need to hire someone.Where do I start?”
Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
Media/Info Requests by News Media
- “I have a staff member who’s not performing well. Where can I obtain support?”
- “My employee asked to see their personnel file. What should I consider?” What should be in a personnel file?”
- “How do I recognize good performance outcomes, effort, or improvement?”
- “Where can I get money for staff appreciation?”
Resource Guide for Staff
Training on Staff Supervision
- “I’d like to learn more about UI staff supervisory responsibilities and development my skills. What’s available now?”
Union/Employee & Labor Relations
- Consult your Unit HR Representative or College/Division Senior HR Leader. Access contact information via the Employee Self Service website in the “General” tab, under “My HR Rep/Workflow Admin/Dept Admin.”
- Request a phone consultation from UI Human Resources, Organizational Effectiveness staff at 335-2085.
Classroom Learning Opportunities
UI LEAD - Leadership Education Assessment and Development
- Assess your current strengths and identify specific leadership behaviors for leadership growth.
- Work with a leadership coach and integrate your supervisor or faculty administrator into your career development.
- For more information about UI LEAD, please visit our website at http://hr.uiowa.edu/leadership-development.
Comprehensive Classroom Opportunities
- Enhance your knowledge, skills, and abilities to effectively manage others.
- Engage in discussion and practical application of critical management practices.
- Interact with managers from across campus to enhance your management perspective.
- Intended for relatively new UI supervisors.
- Develop practical skills to increase their effectiveness in managing their team’s everyday performance.
- Intended for UI managers or supervisors responsible for UI business and human resources transactions.
- Attain the latest guidance necessary to manage the changing information needs and responsibilities of your area.
UI Lean Process Improvement
- Identify and implement efficiency and productivity improvements.
- Decrease process complexity and increase transparency to more easily identify problems or errors.
- For more information, please visit http://hr.uiowa.edu/lean.
If you have any questions about the resources listed, please contact UI Learning and Development at (319) 335-2687.