Faculty and Staff Disability Services

Campus Address
121-20 USB
Mailing Address

121 University Services Building, Suite. 20
United States

Disclaimer: Covid leave of absence requests are no longer in effect as of July 1, 2022 per Board of Regents policy. All leave requests have returned to pre-pandemic norms. This page is for informational purposes only. Please see here for the updated policy.
Illustration of clasping hands.

COVID-19 Related Leave Requests

Human Resources Representatives should use this form to initiate a COVID-19 related leave request.

Submit a Consult Form

Old Capitol dome with sunset in the background

University of Iowa employees who need time away from work due to COVID-19 related health reasons for themselves or for a family member should immediately contact their human resources representative. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act* and the Iowa Board of Regents have provided additional leave benefits for many of our employees. Information regarding these benefits can be found using the links below. 

UI Health Care employees should contact their human resources representative or the UI Health Care Leave and Disability Administration office should they need time away from work for health reasons.

*Please note: This site has been modified to reflect the anticipated expiration of federal COVID leaves as of December 31, 2020.

Completing a COVID-19 related FSDS Consult Form

Human resources representatives (outside of UI Health Care) should complete a consult form for any leave related to COVID-19. Examples include:

  • Our employee has tested positive for COVID-19.
  • Our employee has been advised by a health care provider to not work due to concerns related to COVID-19.
  • Our employee is experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 and is seeking medical guidance.
  • Our employee is providing caring for a family member in one any of the above examples. 
  • Our employee is unable to work due to their child's school or child care closure as a result of COVID-19.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • An employee takes time away from work to get their COVID-19 vaccination – An employee can use BOR sick leave if they have not already exhausted their BOR sick leave. If an employee has exhausted their BOR sick leave, they may utilize their regular paid leave accruals, including sick leave, vacation, or comp time. In keeping with the University’s Sick Leave Policy, up to 2 hours of leave would be reasonable in this situation but requests should be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 

  • An employee takes time away from work to take a family member to get their COVID-19 vaccination – An employee can use vacation, comp time or flex time for this scenario. 

  • An employee misses work from side effects of the COVID-19 vaccination – An employee may utilize BOR sick leave provided they have not already exhausted the BOR sick leave. If an employee has exhausted their BOR sick leave, they may utilize their regular paid leave accruals, including sick leave, vacation, or comp time.

  • An employee misses work to care for a family member that develops side effects from the COVID-19 vaccination – An employee may use Family Caregiving Leave (FCGL) if the family member needing care meets the definition of a family member under the Family Caregiving Leave policy. If they have exhausted their FCGL accruals, they may use vacation or comp time. 


No. Supervisors should not ask employees if they are vaccinated or if they plan to be vaccinated. Asking about their vaccination status may prompt disclosure of disability-related information or information regarding existing health conditions relevant to the vaccination. Supervisors should also avoid discussing an employee’s vaccination status in group meetings, group emails, etc.


No. The University has taken the firm position that COVID-19 vaccinations are on a voluntary basis only. Supervisors should avoid any communication that may be perceived to pressure, force, or coerce any employee to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination.


FSDS will provide you, the supervisor, and the employee the correct payroll codes to use based up the situation in the approval/denial email you will receive.


No, you should not use the new COVID-19 consult form for non-COVID-19 related cases.  We will still continue to have employees with non-COVID-19 related health needs.  Please use the standard consult form for these situations. 


For calendar year 2020, all COVID-19 paid leave benefits (EPSL, eFMLA, and BOR leave) may be used if your child/children must enroll in online learning due to COVID-19. This applies if your school district offers a hybrid offering of in-person instruction and online instruction.

Effective January 1, 2021, federal COVID paid leave will no longer be available, which includes EPSL and eFMLA.