New Procedures for I-9s For Employees Working Remotely
The USCIS has instituted new procedures for the completion of I-9 Employment Eligibility Forms for those situations where employees are working remotely, or where in-person completion of the I-9 Form is not advisable due to physical proximity restrictions.
These new procedures are effective immediately and are intended to keep HR staff and new employees safe while still completing I-9 Forms in a timely manner in accordance with federal law and the most recent guidance from the USCIS.
To facilitate implementation of these new procedures, we have opened Section 1 of the electronic I-9 Form to University employees through the Equifax I-9 software.
Here are the new procedures for employees who are working remotely, or where in-person completion of the I-9 Form is not advisable due to physical proximity restrictions:
- The employee will complete Section 1 through I-9 Express/Equifax program. An email template to the employee is included below. At the end of Section 1 online process, the new employee will be shown a list of acceptable documents related to Section 2.
- The HR staff member will complete Section 2 through the I-9 Express/Equifax software as follows:
- inspect the employee's Section 2 documents remotely via a webcam, Zoom, Skype, or other form of videoconferencing;
- add the comment "documents examined via remote procedures per March 20, 2020 DHS remote review guidance" and insert the date of the document examination in the comment field to Section 2;
- Once normal operations resume and physical proximity restrictions have been lifted, the employee should physically report to the HR staff member and present those same documents for an "in-person" review within 3 days of the date on which normal operations resume. The HR staff member should then add a note to the comment field in Section 2 of the employee’s I-9 stating: "documents physically examined on [date] per COVID-19 guidance."
These remote completion procedures should enable completion of the I-9 Form within three business days of the start of University employment. If you have immediate concerns, please reach out to our Office. It is our goal to respond to emails and calls within 24 hours.
Joanna Sabha, I-9 Coordinator
email@example.com or 319-467-4791