The Assessment and Care Team is composed of mental health and law enforcement experts. They are the primary contacts for the University Community concerned with behaviors and situations which have a potential for self-harm and/or harm to others. The initial contacts are typically made via phone (319-384-2955) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Current contacts for the program are Eli Hotchkin, Threat Assessment Program Director, University Human Resources, Josh Lovik, University of Iowa Police Department, Peter Berkson, University of Iowa Health Care; Angie Reams, Dean of Students Office.
Their responsibilities include:
- Receiving information about concerning behavior.
- Implementing/coordinating the risk/threat assessment response.
- Discerning trends and/or patterns of at risk and threatening behaviors.
- Providing outreach to the UI Campus and surrounding communities as appropriate.
- Providing education and training for employees, faculty, staff and students.
- Prioritize cases as to the assessed urgency.