Back-Up Adult Care from Caring Hands and More, Inc.
To use the Back-Up Adult Care service please read all guidelines. Complete and return the Client Initial Visit Information Form (pdf) to Family Services (firstname.lastname@example.org). This form must be completed and received by Family Services two business days in advance of requesting care. Additional forms may be required by Caring Hands and More at the time you request care. For more information about their services and programs visit Caring Hands and More Inc.
Definition of Back-Up Adult Care
- Care provided to adults living in the service area (35 miles from Iowa City) who have relationships to the eligible University of Iowa faculty, staff, and students. Adults not living in the service area will not be provided care.
- Dependent adults qualified for this care arrangement will have one of the following relationships with a University of Iowa faculty member, staff member, or student:
- Parents/parents in-law
- Siblings/siblings in-law
- Adult children with disabilities
Guidelines for Back-up Adult Care
- Care will be provided in the adult’s home or the faculty member, staff member, or student’s home.
- Care will be provided for a period of one-24 hours over one day or over multiple days, consecutive and non-consecutive.
- Care will be provided for up to 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Care will be provided if arrangements are made at least 48 hours in advance.
- If less than 48 hours notice is provided, an hourly rate of 1.5 times will be charged to the university faculty member, staff member, or student.
- Care will be provided by caregivers who are identified by the vendor from a list of credentialed providers with state licensure requirements and caregiver background and reference checks, including a national criminal background check.
- Adult caregivers who provide “hands-on” personal care will be certified nursing assistants or personal care attendants and will have undergone training to assist elders with activities of daily living.
- Adult caregivers who provide companion-only services will have a track record of successful experience working with elders. Assistance with activities of daily living and personal care tasks (e.g. meal preparation, bathing, dressing), dementia care, socialization and transportation can be provided.
Please note: If an adult has a pre-existing health condition or disability, an in-home pre-assessment prior to the actual care may be required. The staff at Caring Hands and More will determine if an in-home assessment is required prior to providing care.
University of Iowa faculty, staff, or students who require back-up care to help an aging family member or adult child with disabilities meet work, academic, or life responsibilities are eligible for the program.
Hours, Days, and Locations
- Care can be provided any time and on any day, 24 hours per day.
- Services are provided in the home of the faculty member, staff member, or student, or the home of the person receiving care.
- A minimum of four hours of care must be reserved.
Services can be denied if staff are not available or if an illness or a pre-existing health condition or disability require a greater skill level than what the provider can offer.
Fees to Families
- The cost of the care is $22.50 per hour with 4 hours of care minimally billed. A registration fee will not be charged to university families. A minimum of 4 hours of adult care will be reserved by UI affiliated families.
- A cancellation fee of $22.50 will be charged to the family if a reservation is not canceled within 48 hours of the requested care. Please note: If the family does not cancel within the required 48 hours and does not pay the $22.50, future requests for care may be denied.
- If less than 48 hours notice is provided, an hourly rate of 1.5 times will be charged to the University faculty member, staff member, or student paying for care.
- Complete the Client Initial Visit Information Form (pdf) and email it to Family Services at email@example.com. Complete the fields under the “Personal Information” section of the form. This form must be completed and received by Family Services at least two business days in advance of requesting care.
- Additional forms may be required by Caring Hands and More at the time you request care.
- Once the form is submitted, call Caring Hands and More Inc. at any time to request or reserve care: 319-337-8922.
- State you are a University of Iowa faculty member, staff member, student or spouse/partner when making a reservation.
- Request a reservation as soon as the need is known.
Care Can Be Denied If:
- Staff are not available
- Appropriate care cannot be provided
- The requestor has not followed the reservation process
- The requestor in the past reserved a slot, did not follow the cancelation policy, and did not pay the cancelation fee
A cancelation fee of $22.50 may be charged if a reservation is not canceled at least 48 hours before the scheduled care. If the reservation for care is not canceled within the required 48 hours and the $22.50 fee is not paid, future requests for care may be denied.
If you have questions and/or concerns regarding this service, email Family Services or call 319-335-3558.