The Career Development Advising service is a free and confidential service to assist regular employees (non-temporary) in achieving their personal career development goals within the University of Iowa. We can help you identify new skills to use in your current position, look for a change or opportunity to advance in your current career track, or take your career in an entirely new direction. Our advisors are certified by the Career Planning and Adult Development Network as Job and Career Development Coaches.
During a one-on-one consultation we can help you:
- Assess your career goals
- Develop a specific search strategy or long range career development plan
- Understand what prospective employers are looking for
- Review your resume/cover letter specifically for the type of positions you’re looking for
- Develop effective interviewing skills and techniques to present your unique skills and experiences to your best advantage
- Strategize to achieve your goals with benchmarks to measure your success
- Learn to use position descriptions, pay grade matrixes and information, classification review processes, and promotional pathways
- Identify additional resources
Appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Length of appointments vary based on the topics the employee desires to discuss. Please contact us if you wish to set up an appointment or have additional questions.