Professional Staff and Faculty who receive compensation from The University of Iowa may be eligible for temporary health and/or dental insurance. The employee must be anticipated to work 50% or greater time, and be appointed for at least 6 months.
There are two options available:
- Insurance billing may be deducted from a bank account or the employee may be directly billed. Insurance charges for this temporary insurance cannot be deducted from paychecks.
- Departments may contribute to the cost of Temporary insurance by submitting a Temporary Insurance Form (pdf) to the Benefits Office. The department’s contribution selection must be the same as the employee’s coverage selection.
Professional Staff and Faculty who do not receive compensation from The University of Iowa and Merit Staff are not eligible to purchase insurance through the University. Please email benefits, or call UI Benefits at (319) 335-2676 to determine eligibility and request temporary insurance enrollment forms.
Due to your employment with The University of Iowa, you are required to participate in the Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS). In this program, you are required to contribute 5.95% of each paycheck, while the University contributes 8.93% towards your retirement. Participation is mandatory and the deduction will automatically come out of your paycheck.
The following classifications of employees are EXEMPT from IPERS participation:
- Most Fellowships
- House Staff
- Most Visa Holders
- Foreign exchange teachers and visitors including alien scholars, trainees, professors, teachers, research assistants, specialists, or experts in a field of specialized knowledge or skill
- Students working less than 40 hours per week
- If you are participating in the TIAA/CREF retirement program with The University of Iowa
- Employment with the University of less than 6 months in length
You must complete an IPERS Membership Information and Beneficiary Designation form.
This form can be found on the IPERS website as indicated below. It is important that IPERS has this on file for you so that your IPERS money goes to the beneficiary of your choice in case of your death before retirement. Also, a current address on file is essential so you may receive your annual IPERS statement or any other important IPERS mailings.
Once you have completed the form, please return it directly to IPERS at the address indicated, or to the University Benefits Office at 120 University Services Bldg., Ste 40, Iowa City, IA 52242-1911.
Upon termination of your appointment, you may request a refund of your contributions in one of two ways:
- Appointments of 6 months or less must contact the Benefits Office for a “Wage Adjustment Request”
- Appointments of 6 months or greater should complete an IPERS refund form, which can be found at the website indicated below or by calling them at 1-800-622-3849. This refund form gives you the option of either rolling over your funds into another retirement plan or receiving the money yourself. If you choose to take the refund yourself, you are liable for state and federal taxes, along with a 10% tax penalty for withdrawal prior to age 59 ½.
Please visit the IPERS program website for further information on the IPERS program.
Other IPERS information:
- Mailing Address:
PO Box 9117
Des Moines, IA 50306-9117
- Customer Service Toll Free Phone Number:
Cash Withdrawals/Refund Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any other questions concerning IPERS, please contact our Retirement Accountant at 319-335-5522.