Domestic Travel and Personal International Travel

University of Iowa employees and their families may be eligible for two travel assistance programs based on their participation in the required group life insurance product (offered through Principal) or the accidental death and dismemberment insurance program (offered through Zurich).

Because participation in the university's Group Life insurance plan is a condition of employment for regular university faculty and staff members who hold a 50 percent time or greater appointment, they are most likely already covered. In addition, if the employee has group life insurance, they are eligible for the vital travel assistance services offered through Principal Insurance Company.

Participation in the accidental death and dismemberment insurance plan offered through Zurich Insurance is voluntary. However, if the employee purchases this insurance, they are eligible for the travel assistance services provided by Principal.

The travel assistance offered through both companies is a component of the insurance plan. Therefore, if the employee has the insurance, there is no additional charge for travel assistance benefits.

If the employee participates in both plans listed above, they're eligible for both travel assistance plans. These are two separate programs with different benefits. They do not coordinate benefits. If an employee qualifies for both, we recommend that the employee familiarize themselves with both programs to utilize the most beneficial plan to them if they have a claim.

University-Sponsored International Travel

The university has an agreement with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to provide medical and travel insurance coverage for students, faculty, and staff traveling abroad on the University of Iowa business. Significant features of the program include essential medical insurance and emergency medical and security evacuation.

Faculty and staff travelers (on university business) incur no cost for the program's premium, coverage, and services. Optional coverage is available at the traveler's expense for accompanying spouse/domestic partner or dependent(s) by completing the dependent enrollment form under the forms section. 

The employee must register their travel in advance through the University's ProTrav system to be covered. Enrollment will occur automatically approximately three weeks before the employee's departure.

CISI will provide the traveler with coverage materials about 10-14 days before departure to the employee's uiowa email address.

This program does not apply to personal international travel.

Additional Information and Forms

If a faculty or staff member and their dependent(s) are traveling before or after their program dates (up to 2 weeks) and are looking to extend their coverage under the CISI plan should fill out the Personal Deviation Form (pdf).

Have a Question?

Visit our Contact Page