Research Internships are designed for individuals who seek training, experience and mentoring in a research setting; plan to pursue a graduate or professional degree in science, medicine or a related field; and have US citizenship or permanent residency.

The internship allows them to work in the lab of a distinguished PI at a major national research institution, providing invaluable experience and preparation for commencement of advanced studies. The appointment is for a limited term.

More information for Research Interns can be found on the Vice President for Research web site. Questions should be directed to this site.

Health and Dental Insurance

Post-Baccalaureate Interns may enroll in UIGRADCare, the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and Student Dental only.

  • Health Insurance Options and Rates
    • Gender Transition - All of the health plans offered through the University of Iowa provide benefits for medically necessary covered services associated with gender transition when ordered by a health professional. Please contact Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield at 800-643-9724 for more information and to discuss the gender transition medical policy. 

  • Dental Insurance
  • Dental Insurance Rates

University Benefits will send a packet of materials at the time the appointment begins to your uiowa email address. This will include rates, information, and an enrollment form to complete and return. Information on the plans can also be reviewed at the insurance section of this web site.

Health and Dependent Care Spending Accounts

Any Research Intern who has taxable income may participate in these accounts. For more information on them, along with the advantages of participating and the enrollment process, visit the Flexible Spending Account page.

Disability and Workers' Compensation

Research Interns are covered by Workers' Compensation. 


Research Interns are required to participate in a retirement plan. The employee will be defaulted into IPERS (Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System) (except those who are not US Citizens or lawful permanent residents). This deduction will automatically be deducted from the monthly paycheck on a pre-tax basis.

If they would prefer to participate in the TIAA retirement plan, they may log on to Employee Self Service (Benefits & Wellness >> Retirement Enrollment) and make their election within 60 days of hire/eligibility date. The retirement plan election is a one time opportunity. It is an irrevocable decision and cannot be changed later.

Research Interns also have the option to participate in the Voluntary Retirement Savings Program (VRSP) if they have taxable income. Information on this program is available on the retirement section of this web site under Saving Extra for Retirement

Paid Leave

Research Interns are entitled to annual paid leave of 15 working days, but do not accrue vacation and are not entitled to vacation pay. The appointing department is responsible for arranging and accounting of leave for these individuals.

Access to University Facilities and Activities

Research Interns will receive a University identification card. This card provides access to library and information resources, cultural and athletic events, and the ability to charge items to a University billing account.