The University of Iowa offers career opportunities in colleges, research labs, business centers, hospitals and clinics, or the State Hygienic Lab. These types of jobs and work locations allow for diverse opportunities for initial employment and career development. Staff may grow within their own job or may search for opportunities within UI’s diverse campus. The UI posts job vacancies for current staff in one of two ways on our Jobs@UIOWA site:
- Merit or Professional and Scientific jobs that are open to both external applicants or current staff are posted under the job category
- Professional and Scientific jobs that are open to current staff only are posted under the “internal” category. You must use your hawkid and login to view these opportunities.
Both staff and external applicants can use the “Search Agent” function within Jobs@UIOWA to ask the system to send them notices of job opportunities in their area(s) of interest. Applicants to the external site must sign up for a Jobs@UIOWA username and password in order to use the “Search Agent” function.
Several different employment categories exist at the university containing hundreds of job classifications.
Classification Review Processes
University faculty and staff have various options to recognize job development over the course of an individual's career.
- Merit Classification Review
- Merit to P&S Reclassification
- P&S Career Development
- SEIU Classification Review