University Workforce Operations

Campus Address
120 USB
Mailing Address

120 University Services Building
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
United States


University Benefits provides comprehensive benefit-related services for faculty, staff, students, and retirees. Benefits include health, dental, life, disability, accidental death and dismemberment, long-term care, health and dependent care spending accounts, retirement plans, leaves of absence, catastrophic leave and donations, workers' compensation, vacation, sick leave, and a web based enrollment system. 

Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)

New hires and rehires must complete the Form I-9 in person with their department representative using the I-9 Management System. The form must be completed within the first three days of paid employment. Additionally, certain situations may require an employee to reverify employment eligibility (section 3 of Form I-9). Please refer to Faculty and Staff Immigration Services for more information.

Employment Verification

The university uses The Work Number from Equifax Services to verify current or past employment for UI faculty, staff, and U.S. students (International Student and Scholar Services verifies employment of international students). Learn how to use this service to verify employment or income to lenders, banks, property rental companies, and others.

HR Transaction System

Most human resource forms are initiated in the HR Transaction System. For help with determining which forms to use, contact Kate Hilsman, 319-335-3829, or Katie Villhauer, 319-335-2380.

HR Unit Representative

Your HR unit representative is an excellent resource for questions about your employment. You can find your HR unit rep by clicking My HR Unit Rep on Employee Self Service.

Name Changes

Name changes for current or former students must be processed through the UI Service Center, 2700 UCC (8:00 am – 4:30 pm – closed from 12:30 – 1 pm). Follow instructions on the request for name change form.

Faculty/staff (who are not current or former students) should use Employee Self Service to make name changes. Please refer to the  name and address change guidelines for additional information. 

Federal regulations state that the name on your payroll payments and your W-2 should match the name on your Social Security card. You must change your name with Social Security before changing your name with the University of Iowa. The local Social Security Administration office is located at 1100 6th Street, Suite 100, in Coralville.

Payday Information

Salaried employees are paid monthly on the first of each month. When payday falls on a weekend or holiday, paychecks are issued on the first business day after the first of the month.

Your paycheck on the first of each month is for your salary earned in the previous calendar month. If you are non-exempt and eligible for overtime, shift pay, etc., these pay adjustments are paid on the biweekly pay schedule. 

Academic year appointments are paid in twelve installments, Aug. 1 through July 1. New faculty are paid for two-twelfths of their pay on Sept. 1 (for the months of July and August.)

Semester appointments are paid in five installments. First semester is paid on Sept. 1 through Jan. 1, and second semester is paid Feb. 1 through June 1.

Hourly employees are paid biweekly on every other Tuesday. When the biweekly payday falls on a holiday, paychecks are issued on the first business day after the payday.

You can find detailed information and payroll schedules for pay period dates, time record due dates and check issue dates under the payroll calendars section.

Preventing Overpayments

The best practice guide for preventing overpayments helps prevent overpayments by describing transactional and communication responsibilities for activities that impact employee pay. It should be used by all university personnel responsible for reporting and processing pay-related transactions. 

Self Service Password Problems

Problems with your password can be easily corrected. Visit the UI Hawk-ID Guide for assistance.

Student Employment

Workforce Operations manages matters related to student employment—find more info for student employees and employers alike in this site's careers section. See the Office of Student Financial Aid site for info about Work Study and the Pomerantz Career Center for student job postings.

Summer Session Courses Compensation Instructions

These Summer Session Instructions (pdf) provide departments/colleges with guidance on initiating HR transaction forms for summer session appointments for faculty, professional, and graduate assistant employees.

Vacation and Sick Leave

University employees who accrue vacation and sick leave do so on a monthly basis depending on percent of time employed, pay basis, whether in a Professional and Scientific or Merit status and, in the case of Merit and SEIU employees, seniority date. Find more details about vacation and sick leave accrual and usage or contact Rus Schomers, 319-335-2378, or Dan Schropp, 319-335-2382.

Youth Employment

University of Iowa units that employ minors in paid positions or unpaid volunteer roles must adhere to federal and state child labor laws. These include obtaining work permits for minors ages 14 and 15 and limiting hours and types of work.