Payroll Services

Campus Address
120-30 USB
Mailing Address

120 University Services Building, Suite 30
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
United States

Calls answered Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
In-person meetings by appointment only

Use the following guidelines to update your name and address. Note that instructions may differ based on your circumstances (e.g., whether you currently have insurance through the university).

Faculty, Staff, and Former Employees

Address changes: Current and former faculty and staff should update residing or campus addresses via Employee Self Service.

*If you are a current or former student at the University of Iowa, please visit the Office of the Registrar to request a name change.

Name changes: Current and former faculty and staff should complete name changes via Employee Self Service.

  • Standard (legal) name change: Your standard name should be your legal name (first and last) as it appears on your Social Security card. If you want to update your standard legal name, request a name change through Employee Self Service and attach appropriate legal documentation supporting the change. If you were a University of Iowa student, refer to the Students and Former Students section below.

  • Preferred first name: To add an optional preferred first name, complete the Preferred First Name form via Employee Self Service.

Common Questions about Preferred First Names


Faculty and staff can identify an optional preferred first name in addition to a standard (legal) name, and select where that preferred name appears in university systems using these two settings: limited use or broad use.

limited or broad use
  Usage Options
University of Iowa System Limited Broad
MAUI, Canvas, and ICON (for instructors and advisors) Standard name and preferred name Standard name and preferred name
ePersonnel file Standard name and preferred name Standard name and preferred name
Publicly-visible online directory [1] Standard name Preferred name
Name that accompanies your UI email address [2] Standard name Preferred name
University email address ( [2]
HawkID [3] Generated based on standard name Generated based on standard name
University ID Cards Standard name on front and back Preferred name on front, standard name on back
Human Resources systems, such as Payroll and Benefits [4] Standard name Standard name
Systems used by other campus departments and units Standard name Preferred name, unless the system requires standard name
  • [1]  Only one name type is searchable and appears in the publicly-visible online UI directory (preferred name if the user selects broad use, standard name if they select limited use)
  • [2]  Selecting broad use means the preferred name will accompany the user's UI email address (in the address book and on to/from/cc lines), but the email address itself will not change; see Request to Change Email Alias for instructions for changing an email address. 
  • [3]  For instructions for changing a HawkID, see Change HawkID Username.
  • [4]  Some systems, including Human Resources systems such as Payroll and Benefits, require standard name, even if broad use was selected for preferred name.  


No. The preferred first name is an optional alternative to your standard name.


 Visit Employee Self Service, select the Personal tab and then select Preferred First Name from the Name, Address & Hawk Alert section. 


No. University business and systems require that your last name is your legal last name.


 Please allow up to one business day for university systems to refresh.


Your standard name should be your legal (first and last) name as it appears on your Social Security card. Otherwise, you may encounter difficulties with the IRS or or state revenue and tax agencies.


 You can and should correct it via Employee Self Service


After you have added your preferred first name via Employee Self Service, you can request a new ID card at the Iowa One Card Center, 2700 University Capital Centre. The replacement fee for the new card will be charged to your U-Bill. Bring your old ID card, if available. Bring a photo ID with your legal name on it for verification.


No. Your preferred first name must be a name you truly use to identify yourself, and the university will not accept a preferred first name that is vulgar or offensive, obscene, fanciful, or creates confusion with another person. See the Preferred First Name Policy


Email with any questions about preferred first name policy or processes.

Retirees without University Insurance

Follow the instructions for faculty and staff above.

Retirees with Current University Insurance

Retirees with current university insurance who want to change their names or addresses should contact University Benefits by email at or in writing at:

University of Iowa
University Benefits
120 University Services Bldg.
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911

Students and Former Students

Address changes: Students may change their residing, home, and parent addresses on MyUI. Students may also restrict their residing addresses and/or phone numbers.

Name changes: Complete the University of Iowa Request for Change of Name Form available on the Registrar's website.

Questions: Contact the Registrar by e-mail at or phone at 319-384-4300.