Effective performance assessment and follow up benefits everyone involved. Individuals often experience higher morale and creativity as well as improved health, which in turn supports improved productivity and pursuit of department and university goals and missions.
Performance Review Tool
The performance review tool can be accessed directly at http://talent.uiowa.edu/performance or by logging in through Employee Self Service. Review the FAQs if you have questions.
How to start your performance review
If you are Professional & Scientific (P&S) staff:
- You or your supervisor can launch your review, and it can be launched 15 days after the beginning of your review period. You can refer to the Performance Review Business Rules to find out the period in which you are reviewed. A good place to start is by setting and recording updates to your goals.
- You can enter them directly in the Employee Additional Comments section of the performance review tool, or
- You can upload them as an attachment by dragging and dropping into the Employee Performance Documents section.
- Continue to record progress and modify goals in current goals.
- You may start your self-review in the performance review tool at any time. It is not visible to your supervisor until you click the Submit Performance Review button at the bottom of the online form.
If you are Merit/Non-Nursing SEIU staff:
Your supervisor or HR Representative will provide you with the appropriate forms if anything is required of you prior to your performance review meeting (e.g., self-review, goals, etc.). If your department does not have an existing self-review form, you may ask them to consider using this Merit Self-Assessment Template (docx).
- Regardless of whether or not you receive a form, it is a good idea to prepare for the meeting by using the suggestions provided in the performance review process.
- At or after your performance review meeting, you will have an opportunity to view your review form online.
- You must sign an acknowledgement of receiving the form, and will have the opportunity to add comments.
Performance Review Tool FAQ
- All staff types (P&S non-bargaining, P&S bargaining, merit, and merit-exempt) in a regular appointment can utilize the tool.
- It's integrated with ePersonnel file.
- Documents can be attached and user-friendly supervisor/HR reports are available.
- Simplified process with more flexibility for organizational levels on campus to tailor based on their needs.
Employees and supervisors can access the new tool directly at http://talent.uiowa.edu/performance by entering their Hawk ID and Password (note: may be different than an employee’s Health Care ID and Password).
The tool is also accessible through Employee Self-Service by selecting My Career/Career & Performance/Performance Review.
Performance reviews dating back to 2013 can be found in the ePersonnel file. Supervisors can also access the prior review for their direct reports from within a current, in-process review, located in the section entitled Last Year's Performance Reviews.
P&S non-bargaining employees can enter goals in the Employee Goals & Accomplishments section of the review tool. They can also upload (drag & drop) goal forms and templates into the Employee Performance Documents section of the review tool.
Yes, the completed form will be available by selecting the History button in the review tool. Supervisors will also receive an email that includes employee comments. The email will notify the supervisor that comments were made and the review is complete. The ePersonnel file will contain the completed form for the supervisor and employee to access.
...a review has not been started?
The ability to create a Review will transfer to the new supervisor.
...some reviews have been started but not all?
Contact the ITS Help Desk with details about how you want each of the existing forms handled.
...all reviews have been started and some have been completed?
For reviews NOT completed, please contact the ITS-Help Desk for assistance.
For reviews completed, the new supervisor will have access to the performance review via the employee’s ePersonnel file.
...all reviews have been completed? Can the new supervisor see the reviews?
The new supervisor will have access to the employee’s ePersonnel file.
- Technical Questions: IT Help Desk Phone: 319-384-HELP (4357)
- Email: email@example.com
- Online Chat: Help Desk Online Chat
- Performance Appraisal Process and Content: HR Representative
- Help Tour within the Performance Review Tool - The button to launch/relaunch the Help Tour is on the left side of the page in the performance tool.
- University Human Resources Performance Management
Innovation: We seek creative ways to solve problems.
Collaboration: We believe teamwork is the best way to work.
Accountability: We behave ethically, act openly and with integrity in all that we do, taking responsibility for our actions.
Respect: We honor diversity and recognize the worth and dignity of every person.
Excellence: We strive to achieve excellence in all that we do.
It is expected that employees will be able to acknowledge (sign) their review by the review cycle deadline (or other deadline established by a department or unit). Supervisors/evaluators should complete the employee’s review and have the performance review meeting early enough to allow the employee to acknowledge prior to the deadline.
Finalizing (signing) the review does not indicate agreement but confirms that the discussion with the supervisor occurred. Employees have the option to add additional comments directly on the form prior to finalizing. Supervisors should work directly with their departmental human resources representative if obtaining an employee’s signature before the deadline will not occur.
A definition for each rating can be found in the performance review tool when the rating is assigned. Definitions can also be found on the University Human Resources Performance Descriptors website.